Free boat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

noviceskier

Just got a free boat after doing some bodywork for someone, figured it would be fun to have a project not knowing anything about and having nothing into it besides time and materials.

Boat ran, ran good. Now I hooked up battery onto it and solenoid just clicks. Figured it's either solenoid or bad ground since all of the grounds look cruddy. Deck has some soft spots and seems the PO just used regular plywood when redoing it and covered it with some carpet.(either that or some sort of neutral killswitch, maybe the boat is thinking it is in gear?)

Has the omc cobra (5.0? dont know but I'll just check the vin and such)

My "plan" with the boat is to start from scratch, using marine plywood with polyester resin to seal the wood, followed with some rough chop strand and fine chop strand to cover it, after 12 hours of doing the deck sand with 80 grit for the gelcoat and then apply the gelcoat. Not a fan of carpet in boats, figured following that I would make some templates and send them over to those people at seadek who can make me some nice finishes. Followed with some new vinyl and some storage compartments added since the engine cover seems to be LEGO'ed into place lol.

Currently working on the gelcoat, just wetsanding with 1000 up to 2000, followed with some polish and then some wax.

Main post is really about any good forums or threads where I can follow them through their processes and get me set on the right track with this. I don't really plan on dumping "a lot" of money into this thing and have already gotten offers for it. But it would be nice to have a fun cruiser and be able to tube and wakeboard with, when needed.
1563336631072.png
1563336659875.png

Instead of carpet, what about that non-skid black stuff that goes on like tape? Like 80 grit sandpaper with a sticky side? This is an interesting project and I'd like to follow. Post lots of pics.

Back