Found my leak

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterbug13

I have a 2012 challenger 210,, I bought it last summer and ever time I went out no matter what I would have water in the haul and if she sat over night I would have a few inches in the locker. I replaced one of the carbon rings and bellows that had rust around it and was original. I got her all back together and replaced one pump since the bearings were shot. But I dropped it in a small pond to check for leaks and found one from the grate bolts that come threw the haul. They have a white chaulk on them but one had a steady head of water and when I pushed it it shot water like a pimple. What can I used to stop this? I have two part caulking we use in cars all the time I thought about using also. Thanks for idea

I'm guessing the bolts must be pretty lose or the grate is warped? I've had my grate off before and used no sealer when I put it back on.

A good sealer here would be Lock Tight "The Right Stuff" 25223, as silicone has no place near any boat in my opinion.

My 2017 spark 2 is leaking through the hull after a hull replacement.....I thought I goobered up all the penetrations really well with marine grade sealant.....I’ll have to recheck my grate bolts now, maybe I missed one

I'm guessing the bolts must be pretty lose or the grate is warped? I've had my grate off before and used no sealer when I put it back on.

A good sealer here would be Lock Tight "The Right Stuff" 25223, as silicone has no place near any boat in my opinion.
The bolts are not loose at all not is anything bent and only one of them was leaking pretty good.
I work in a body shop and silicone is not allowed in there because of paint issues. We do use a 2 part seam sealer that we us on cars like the manufacturer uses. Use it inside the haul not the outside of course.

Agreed, an aggressive adhesive can make it difficult to remove parts for disassembly. Say for instance the threads were coated in epoxy then assembled, it would be impossible to remove them in the event the grate needed to be removed.

Are you pointing out that white goop, looks like sealer? The grate bolts are under my engine and in my aluminum ride plate.

That white goop there might be concealing damage to the hull, in which case I'd use epoxy for a permanent repair to damaged fiberglass, thicken as required. I don't think there any through-screws or bolts in that location?

The white sealant has a bolt threw it and not. I think its were the drive shaft shield is bolted threw because the screws are small. I tighten everything up and replaced the sealer on the ones that I saw leaking. Going to put it in the water this weekend and run everything. I am taking it to dale hollow for the 4th. Nothing like pushing it till the last min.

I see, I'm not used to looking at the weedless grate so it's a little different. Looks like the cable goes through in that location as well.

I suppose your preferred sealer would work fine as long as it can be disassembled later on if need be, 3M-4200 would be my choice for something like that but not for inside of nut threads, around and over top of them should be fine. If that's your repair there, it looks good to me.

I see, I'm not used to looking at the weedless grate so it's a little different. Looks like the cable goes through in that location as well.

I suppose your preferred sealer would work fine as long as it can be disassembled later on if need be, 3M-4200 would be my choice for something like that but not for inside of nut threads, around and over top of them should be fine. If that's your repair there, it looks good to me.
3m 4200 is what I used, I'm not sure how well the stuff I use at work will work in a boat. Yes the cable is for the weedless systsm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back