flushed with engine off !

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

OzTEXS

i have a speedster 200 2006 twin rotax .. while i was flushing with the engine with my son, we made the stupid mistake of turning the engine off before removing the hose momentarily !

it was while we were on holidays 3 days ago now and iam back home today.

we were able to restart the engine with no issues twice but didnt run it long.

what should i do ??

sydney australia

It really depends on how long you let the pump/flush run with the engine off? I did something similar (but only for a few seconds) and everything was fine. I think as long as it was only for a few moments, you should be ok.

My fuzzy understanding is that without exhaust presure from the engine running, water can enter engine thru exhaust valves, and since liquids do not compress, when you start the engine you have an over pressure / compression issue. Since you have already started it, it may be that the danger is gone. Perhaps you did not put enough water into it to reach the engine. If I was due for an oil change I might go ahead, at least take a good look at it, I am not sure if water could get into oil. Luck.

I would do at least two oil changes. BGS is correct, without the pressure from the exhaust, water can back flow into the engine and mix with your oil. I would do two oil changes, including changing the oil filter both times.

If it restarted quickly and easily, it is fine. Momentarily, as in 5 seconds, leaving the hose on is not a problem after you shut if off. It takes longer than that to back flow into cylinders.

ski-d00 is right, you haven't likely harmed your boat...and I'll add though, your boat will still start and operate with your oil having been diluted with water. I would still do the oil and filter changes to ensure your oil is properly lubricating all the internals. The time and cost of doing a couple oil changes for me is worth the peace of mind. If you had severe dilution, your oil level would be unusually high. You would also notice its color and viscosity being dramatically different on the dipstick. Godspeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back