Float Charging - Digital Charger Inside Hull?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Zaphod B

Hi. all - first-time poster here.

My SeaDoo Spark is a 2018, purchased new. It lives on a floating jetski dock that is attached to my main dock. It's covered with an OEM cover but is otherwise in the elements 24/7.

My question has to do with long-term battery maintenance charging. I have not had a float charger on it up to this point because of concerns about getting the charger / extension cords wet during a rain. I recently installed a new battery and want to keep it healthy.

Now I see that Noco (and others) have waterproof maintenance chargers so getting the charger itself wet isn't a problem.

To the question: Is it safe to stuff a small digital charger inside the hull during the off-season? This would allow me to run an outdoor-rated extension cord out of the battery access hatch to an outlet on the dock.

Theory: service and operator's manual both do not allow charging battery while inside the hull.
Practice: I'm using CTEK MXS 5.0 for 3 years for off-season storage, with permamently fixed ring terminals - not clamps on battery side, and had absolutely no issues. Unless the battery is damaged, or there is no ventilation around, it should be rather safe. Make sure you are fixing the charging cable firmly (using mentioned ring terminal connector, for example - such as attached to MXS charger and maybe others) to prevent unattended short circuit.

Back