first time boat buyer

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

afederle

Hey guys, I am looking at a 2003 Seadoo Speedster that is advertised as only being used only in fresh water with 40 hours on it. It's sales price is $6,500. Does this sound like a fair price? Also, does anyone know what kind of mileage it gets?

Hard question...

Because the "used" boat market prices vary so much from one part of the country to the next, it's hard to say if thats a really good price or not. If the boat is in excellent shape and you feel like it's a bargain, then I'd think it was a bargain.
The Speedster for that year used the Mercury M-2 engine which is a V-6 engine. They were either 210 hp natural aspirated or the 240 hp fuel injected. I'm not sure which engine was in that particular boat.
There are a few in the forum who run this boat and for the most part, seem to be trouble free engines.
But beware, if you do, don't expect to find parts for it as easy as you do the Rotax engines. And if you do need to have it serviced, take it to your local Mercury dealership, not to Seadoo.
They only used the Mercury jet drives from 2000 to 2003 or 4....not sure, I don't remember exactly. At that time, they were really powerful, but with the design of the new 4-TEC engines, which are only 3 cylinder engines with a lot less weight, it was a "no brainer" to go with that type application.
I hope this gives you a little insight!...let us know what you do!....:cheers:

After doing a little research I found out that the boat I was looking at was actually a Sportster LE DI. I knew that it didn't have a V6 and I was pretty sure that it had the Rotax 2 cylinder engine that you mentioned. I believe it is 130 hp as well being the direct injected model. Are these specs I just mentioned consistent with the Sportster LE? I suppose the seller got the two names confused. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back