First boat. Need help please. 2005 Challenger 180

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelbt2

I just bought a 2005 Sea Doo Challenger 180 from a dealer. It had 16 hours on the boat as it was stored in a boat warehouse prior. All mechanicals and other tests were good, running as it should.

Took it out for the first time last weekend. Appeared to drain gas VERY quickly. Had a full tank. A mile down the lake it was at 3/4.

Took it out today (following weekend). It was at roughly 1/2. Guessing it was the way it was sitting in the water showing different readings. There are no gas leaks. Not in the 3 weeks I've had it have I smelled any sort of leak. Still appears to be running gas VERY quickly.

I've run the boat maybe 30 minutes and I've used over half a tank.

It's running at 6000-8000 rpm at 1/4 throttle.

Question: As mentioned it's my first boat so it has to be me in some way. Do you think I'm not getting up on plane so the back is dragging? Is running at 1/4 throttle bad? Just confused as to why it would drain gas like it does?

It's at 8000 rpm at half throttle. I haven't had it full throttle yet. This is what concerned me. Another clue might be, when I am riding in a no wake zone I'll have it in Forward and give it just a bit of gas to be able to maneuver and it will say I'm going 30mph. I have to be missing something but can't figure out what it is.

It's not like there is an emergency break with a vehicle. Put the key on, press start, push Forward, give it throttle, go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back