Few questions after engine rebuilds!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Toyextuh

Hey guys! Just had both my 787's rebuilt on my 99 speedster and I'm on premix, however my red light is on above my gas guage and I peeked at my oil tank and its about 20%. . Few questions..

Premix is in the gas and I have 1/2 tank left, how long should I run my tank before actually filling it with gas full tank?

I can just top off my oil tank with fresh genuine seadoo 2 stroke oil as it sits right now to make the light go away right?

How long is break in period and what does it consist of? I'm getting/reading mixed answers.

Last edited:
Only run premix for the first tank.
Filling the oil tank should turn the ol light off because it is just a simple float with an idiot light.

Break-in should be about 1/4 throttle for the first half tank varying the rpm the entire time and run for 10 minutes and cool for 15 minutes and repeat.
The next 1/2 tank up to 1/2 throttle same heat and cool cycle and varying the rpm.
Fill tank with gas only and for this 1/2 tank up to 3/4 throttle with same heat cool cycle and vary rpm.
Last 1/2 tank you can go full throttle but do not hold it wide open and you are good to go.

Filling the oil tank should turn the ol light off because it is just a simple float with an idiot light.

Break-in should be about 1/4 throttle for the first half tank varying the rpm the entire time and run for 10 minutes and cool for 15 minutes and repeat.
The next 1/2 tank up to 1/2 throttle same heat and cool cycle and varying the rpm.
Fill tank with gas only and for this 1/2 tank up to 3/4 throttle with same heat cool cycle and vary rpm.
Last 1/2 tank you can go full throttle but do not hold it wide open and you are good to go.
Thank you so much

Does the breakin procedure vary according to engine size? I’m following a previously listed procedure for a 951 carb… it’s taking forever when I wait 30 min for a cooldown. So far I’ve only had time to burn through 1/3 tank of premix gas…
My sense is there’s some personal preferences in there…
How big of an issue is it between 15 min vs 30 min cooldown periods? Does this possibly relate to the specific engine?

TIA MIKIDYMAC!

Attachments

• IMG_7945.png
    IMG_7945.png
    355.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7944.png
    IMG_7944.png
    409.9 KB · Views: 7
Imo the cooling and heat cycle is a waste of time.every engine part made at the plants all go thru heat treatments far more heat then the motor can create.the first start up and run is to confirm all systems are a go.oil lines bled.the extra oil is just Incase there is no air in the lines and to help give extra lubricant.the break in procedure that most people find online are from the 90s before manufacturing was not as advanced.i have built many many drag motors and e.t.c.all built to factory spec with wide wide exhaust ports and slapped them together fired up run for a minute and put into the field.and have thousands of Dyno runs and races.add extra oil then run the boat.dont hold it wide open for ever don't hold it steady for to long until your confident the carb and oil system is correct then run it.been at this for over 35 years.

Tx for your input. I’ve heard folks say short cutting the breakin process will shorten the engine life substantially… I’d love to see actual stats… but sadly they seem to be mostly anecdotal descriptions.

No it won't.everything is heat treated at the manufacturer. tolerances are tighter and the process is alot better I am old school and been building stuff since I started racing moto at the age of 5 my family have all been mechanics.im 50 now raced moto sleds go carts snow cross grass drags and all around gear head worked at a sea Doo dealer at 18 and now own my own repair shop factory trained till 3 years ago.

Piston to cylinder tolerances and seating rings has not changed and is not dependent on manufacturer tolerances.
You are heat cycling, not heat treating.

But do what works of you.

Tx Mikidymac! Guess I’ll err on the cautious side… even if it takes longer… I don’t recall doing anything like this for chainsaws… I have used lots of those from new.

Keep in mind the same engine is in a PWC that has about a 10 gallon tank so with the boat gas tank being so much larger I would reduce your schedule.

Tx again! I was struggling to get all the required breakin time on a 951… so far I’ve only used 1/3 tank of premix… haven’t had time to get back out… it takes forever to burn through a 15 gallon tank….

Back