Exhaust Manifold leaking

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim1847

I have a 2005 Seadoo GTI with a 718CC Rotax 2 Stroke Engine. Top end was completely done over last year. Had it out on the lake for the first time a few weeks ago. Ran great all day (~4 hours off/on). Took it out last week and after 45 minutes it began to choke out and wouldn't start back up. I changed plugs, checked gas for water, and changed stator but that didn't solve problem. I then realized after pulling it out of water it drained a great amount of water after opening plugs. Ran it out of lake (started up) and observed exhaust manifold leaking near one of the bolts. The nut was fairly tight but i did tighten it a little bit more but water continued to leak. I haven't had much time to look into it but the gasket looks like it is seated fine, I have yet to tighten other bolts but will try that next. Has anyone experienced this before and would a decent amount of water leaking into hull cause it to choke out after a period of time. I'd consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined but don't have much experience dealing with Jet Ski engines and I'd prefer to tackle this issue prior to seeking a professional mechanic ($$). Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 37
I am helping a friend with this same problem on the same motor, different year, right now.

Check the mounts for the pipe and make sure they are tight, all there, not boken. The pipe is supported with bolts and rubber mounts onto the exhaust manifold. Failure of these mounts can cause the pipe to manifold bolts to fail at the seal. His are loosening up within 30 minutes of riding, this dumps a lot of water into his hull.

The seal in the picture looks like it has ultra copper or something similar on it. Pull the pipe off and replace that seal.

Get the pipe secured and sealed and take it for a ride. If the choke problem is still there then give us a call back and we can work from there.

Good luck.

Yes. It happens when the rubber bushings on the lower pipe get worn and tropically it brakes the bolts on the headpipe to manifold.

I suggest getting new bushings, sleeves and a new gasket.

Also leaking exhaust displaces oxygen choking out the engine.

Found the problem, manifold exhaust pipe cracked near bolt assembly. Looking for a used one to replace it.

Ok. Got all the parts in, any specific type of adhesive needed for gasket? I still have to get old gasket off, looks like I might have to scrape it off.

Ok, got everything in place, the side bolt that I use to attach a the exhaust pipe is not taking to the thread. I’ve removed pipe and it fit no problem, and the threads appear fine. The top bolts are loose which gives me some movement which I would hope would line the hole up but I’m having no luck.

Attachments

• 346C295A-B3B2-40DB-8A75-0513BD75676B.jpeg
    346C295A-B3B2-40DB-8A75-0513BD75676B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • E515E1C1-0E78-4251-A792-381101CD6221.jpeg
    E515E1C1-0E78-4251-A792-381101CD6221.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
Finally got exhaust pipe on with new gasket. Ran it out of water with garden hose, no leaks and it ran fine. Take it out to the lake and yet once again it chokes out after two minutes and won’t start back up. Saw a decent amount of water in Hull. I’m ready to sink this thing.....how come it runs fine out of water and once in the lake it keeps dying? Any suggestions would be great, thank you.

I'm having he same problem with leaking and not sealing around the gasket. Mine doesn't choke out and die though... I replaced both studs and water is still coming out around the bolt, so maybe a hairline fracture that I cant see with my eye? I've taken it apart three times, with same results.. Mine is the exact some model as yours.. 2500 Seadoo GTI

The ones that hold the pipe to the side of the engine, not the ones that bolt it to the manifold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back