Excessive oil pressure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Powellje

I have 2005 GTX supercharged, that I just put in the water after a long winters nap. Last fall I did an oil & filter change, new spark plugs, etc - typical end of season stuff.

It runs great, no issues, but after 10 min or so I get a single long beep, the “check engine” warning comes on, and it goes into limp home mode. When I pull the dipstick to check the oil level there is back pressure (kind of like opening a beer can). This clears the problem, but it comes back when I run it. I thought maybe I had overfilled the oil last fall (which I had - a little) but I removed the excess and I still have the problem. Any ideas from folks more experienced in this than I?

Last edited:
I don’t have any experience with supercharged skis.

But you are going to want to know what code is being set from The check engine light. Start by searching the forum or internet on how to pull codes (or use a Can-Doo tool) and the code may steer you in the right direction to repair?

It gives me the P-1202 code - which from what I can tell is excessive crankcase pressure (which is consistent with the effect when removing the oil dipstick). I have read it could be a bad oil filter (which seems odd to me) or a bad blowby valve. Not sure what that is, but from what I read that makes sense.

You probably have to clean or replace the blow by valve , a manual for your machine will tell you how to diagnose and fix the problem. You can download on this site , they are extremely useful when followed exactly. Another recommendation is to remove the plugs and see what they look like.

Often it is the rear oil pressure switch,,,not sure if yours has one at the front too,,,but I do know from experience, a faulty rear oil pressure switch will definitely put the ski into limp mode,

You probably have to clean or replace the blow by valve , a manual for your machine will tell you how to diagnose and fix the problem. You can download on this site , they are extremely useful when followed exactly. Another recommendation is to remove the plugs and see what they look like.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did replace the oil filter - no change. I do hear the “click” on the blow by valve when I insert the key (which is normal). I don’t know if that means the blow by valve is OK or not. I replaced the plugs last fall, so I don’t think the problem is there.

TOPS valve is likely issue and no longer available. Had the same problem on my 2005 RXT last year.
Took valve apart, cleaned it, replaced 2 oil pressure switches, nothing helped.
I ended up removing the guts of the valve as others recommended.
No problems since. Just do not tip it over.

Thanks all. The problem was indeed the tops valve. Like suggested, I removed the two disks & springs and reinstalled the valve. No more pressure buildup or error codes. I haven’t turned the ski over in the decade or so I have had it, so I think I am good (as long as I can keep the teenagers away ). You all were a great help.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did replace the oil filter - no change. I do hear the “click” on the blow by valve when I insert the key (which is normal). I don’t know if that means the blow by valve is OK or not. I replaced the plugs last fall, so I don’t think the problem is there.
I have 2005 GTX supercharged, that I just put in the water after a long winters nap. Last fall I did an oil & filter change, new spark plugs, etc - typical end of season stuff.

It runs great, no issues, but after 10 min or so I get a single long beep, the “check engine” warning comes on, and it goes into limp home mode. When I pull the dipstick to check the oil level there is back pressure (kind of like opening a beer can). This clears the problem, but it comes back when I run it. I thought maybe I had overfilled the oil last fall (which I had - a little) but I removed the excess and I still have the problem. Any ideas from folks more experienced in this than I?
OTPS as others have said. This is a handy little tech update I'm attaching.

Attachments

• 2004_PWC_Tech Update_Troubleshooting.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 22
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back