Engine overheating

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well check on the running machine compression and use that to gauge the problem ski
25 what psi Lbspersquareinch ???
Sounds like it’s a bum gauge

I know I need to get a good compression test, but does the fact that it turns over, even for a short bit, likely mean the engine isn't screwed up
not necessarily, one of my kawasakis blew up recently, although it was obvious the some of the piston went to the bottom of the lake lol. 30 psi one one cylinder and 150 on the other. It still tried to turn over and even started on the lake. Although engines that aren't blown but are low on compression will turn over just fine. If you want to be sure, I know autoparts stores rent out compression tester kits which will give you an accurate reading, I would rather you just get the health of the motor done first before spending more money than you'd need to if it does read low. You mentioned you rebuilt the carbs but never mentioned if you used aftermarket or mikuni kits?

I suspect the fuel ⛽️ pump isn’t sucking fuel from the tank although he said he put fuel down the plug holes

Need to check underneath . Have a look at jet pump to make sure you have a clearance all round to make sure it not causing a resistance on engine

not necessarily, one of my kawasakis blew up recently, although it was obvious the some of the piston went to the bottom of the lake lol. 30 psi one one cylinder and 150 on the other. It still tried to turn over and even started on the lake. Although engines that aren't blown but are low on compression will turn over just fine. If you want to be sure, I know autoparts stores rent out compression tester kits which will give you an accurate reading, I would rather you just get the health of the motor done first before spending more money than you'd need to if it does read low. You mentioned you rebuilt the carbs but never mentioned if you used aftermarket or mikuni kits?
I'll get a good accurate reading and report back

I suspect the fuel ⛽️ pump isn’t sucking fuel from the tank although he said he put fuel down the plug holes

Need to check underneath . Have a look at jet pump to make sure you have a clearance all round to make sure it not causing a resistance on engine
Good call, I'll check that too

And yes, I used mikuni rebuild kits

Before I set out on re-testing compression. Is the whole process taking the boots off the plugs, taking one plug out, screwing in the tester and turn over the engine for about 5 seconds. Then unhook the tester and replace the plug, then unscrew the other plug and screw in the tester and turn the engine over again for about 5 seconds.

Is this correct? Do I need to take off the airbox or do anything else to properly test?

Before I set out on re-testing compression. Is the whole process taking the boots off the plugs, taking one plug out, screwing in the tester and turn over the engine for about 5 seconds. Then unhook the tester and replace the plug, then unscrew the other plug and screw in the tester and turn the engine over again for about 5 seconds.

Is this correct? Do I need to take off the airbox or do anything else to properly test?
Not sure if your ski is set up the same way but on my rear electrical box there are 2 posts that hold spark plug wires when working on engine so look for something like that on yours and Take boots of the plugs and attach the plugs to the above mentioned posts. Take spark plugs out and give full throttle and motor eng until gauge peaks then check opposite cylinder. I would do each cylinder 3 times to get an average.

Not sure if your ski is set up the same way but on my rear electrical box there are 2 posts that hold spark plug wires when working on engine so look for something like that on yours and Take boots of the plugs and attach the plugs to the above mentioned posts. Take spark plugs out and give full throttle and motor eng until gauge peaks then check opposite cylinder. I would do each cylinder 3 times to get an average.
Yes, I have those spark plug holders. But how do I full throttle without plugs? Or, do I just push the throttle to full power and then hit the starter, knowing it won't fully start?

You do it without both plugs installed
Connect plug leads the ground pins on rear electrical box
Install tester on one cylinder
Hold throttle open can use a tie wrap for this
Turn engine over until gauge stops increasing
Compare the two cylinders and should less than 10% of each other
Let us know how much u get

I normally take a photo with phone camera so I don’t forget

The ground posts on the 01' XP are on the front electrical box where the plug wires terminate.

Before I get in to anything, know that the battery is out and the engine is not being turned over anymore.

Compression on my good machine:
Closest to the gas tank cylinder:
88,87,88 PSI

Closest to the front of the machine:
88,90,89 PSI

Compression on the other machine:
Closest to the gas tank:

Closest to the front:

Here are two videos I took before while working on the troubleshooting steps offered to me here:

Definitely something messed up. Not sure where to go from here

So basically rip the cylinder head off
BTW if that’s good Gauge your compression is down on all cylinders good and bad machine
120 and above is good I believe

So basically rip the cylinder head off
BTW if that’s good Gauge your compression is down on all cylinders good and bad machine
120 and above is good I believe
So, all cylinders need to be opened?

And once it's open do I send pictures. What am I looking for

Yes as you would need to replace lower cylinder gasket and if u need to replace the piston you best replace both
The bottom gasket is identified by marking with tiny holes to identify thickness
You need to try avoid damaging the gasket during removal

I dont think your gauge is very accurate. With 88 psi on both cylinders on the machine that runs strong, it wouldn't even start on the water. On the other hand, I think the 0compression ski will be needing more attention

Well, the season has passed for me for now. If I put fuel stabilizer in it still it winterize okay without it being able to run

At this point with zero compression on one cylinder there’s no real reason to winterize.
Without it running you can’t blow the water out or add antifreeze to prevent freezing.

If you can now would be the time to pull the engine so you can rebuild it over the winter.

At this point with zero compression on one cylinder there’s no real reason to winterize.
Without it running you can’t blow the water out or add antifreeze to prevent freezing.

If you can now would be the time to pull the engine so you can rebuild it over the winter.
Well, unfortunately, I don't have an engine hoist and we're getting snow in places here. So it may be a job I have to tackle next spring and I'll buy a host at that time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back