Engine only turns over when i pour gas in cylinder..

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoops one

Hey all.. Just a quick question about my '98 GS.. I seems i had water in the cylinders.. I actually turned the Seadoo over and got all of the milky liquid out.. Cranked it and it is bone dry.. Just changed all the fuel lines and cleaned the carb.. Now it seems it wont start at all.. The engine cranks but it wont turn over.. Actually when i spray a little starter fluid or pour a little gas in the cylinders it turns over and starts for a second or 2, smokes a little then shuts off and wont start again.. Don't know if it is getting gas or what could be the problem.. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.. Thanks

Well, first make sure you spray bombardier lube (or WD-40 if no lube available) into the cylinders to displace the water that remains in there and also to get them nice and lubed to prevent any rusting. Then make sure your Gas is on!!!

Secondly, if you did have the gas on, try starting it with the fuel selector switched to reserve.

How did you get water in your cylinders? Did you take on water in the hull? And, did you change the fuel lines and clean carbs prior to getting water in the cylinders or only after?

Also, if you had water in the cylinders, you will have to crank it quite a bit with the spark plugs out before you actually do get all the water out. You may think it is bone dry, but it isn't. Turn the gas off and crank away while putting you hand above the spark plug holes to feel for liquid shooting out of them. Rub you fingers together with any liquid that comes out and smell it. You should be able to tell if its water or not.

I had water in my engine once, and I cranked it with the plugs off 20-30 times for 10 seconds at a time. I let the starter cool down for 15-30 seconds in between attempts. With the spark plugs in and a shot of starter fluid, the engine would run 2-3 seconds and shut down. I left the plugs out overnight and tried again the next day. I cranked it a few times with the plugs out again, then put them in and tried to get the engine running. Eventually, I got the water cleared out and it started running.

Tips:

1. Put new plugs in
  2. You possibly could have water in your gas too. If you continue to have no luck, siphon your gas out (put it in your car/truck, it will be ok with it as long as you don't see an excess of water) and put fresh gas in.
  3. If you just changed fuel lines, double check your work so that you are sure you got all the lines running to the correct locations.
  4. If your cylinders were filled with water, you will have to check your crankcase for water too. This shouldn't affect the starting, but will damage the lower end once you do get it running.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanx for the reply redman... My brother tried to start the jetski by turning the water on before the engine and forgot the battery was dead.. I took the spark plugs out and cranked it and water and oil mix came shooting out.. Looked like chocolate milk.. We flipped it over and both cylinders emptied and now when i crank it with no plugs in nothing shoots out. Also when i have the plugs in and i crank it it is still fouled out a little by that mix.. How would i empty the crankcase if there is water in there?? I replace the fuel selector switch, and all the fuel lines and cleaned the carb after i got all the water out of the cylinders.. Got new plugs in also..

How would i empty the crankcase if there is water in there??

Actually, I re-read your post and see you are talking about your GS and not the GSX. You will not have to worry about this with the 717 engine in your GS. That procedure only applies to the 787 and 947/951 engines.

Make sure you charge your battery up and keep trying. Mine took a while before it fired back up, but it eventually did. Also, as I said before, make sure you got all your newly replaced fuel lines connected correctly.

Once you get it running, you will want to warm the engine up pretty good on the hose. Take it for a ride if you can. Then you will need to re-lube the engine once again just to ensure your internals are protected from that water.

Got it running.. Thanx for the help redman.. Took all the lines off to see if the carb was getting gas and it was so i sprayed starter fluid in the carb and ift fired up.. Did that about 3 times and it stayed running.. Shot the rest of the water out.. Ran if for about 2 min till the engine got hot so the water would evaporate.. Starts on first push of the button now with no starter fluid.. Smoked like a monster but it runs.. Tomorrow im gunna change the fuel, hook up the hose and run it for about 10 min.. Hope all goes well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back