Engine Alignments

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I am curious as to how many jet ski engines are actually in alignment. I bought and alignment set up last year from a Green Hulk Board member in my area which I have used about 1/2 dozen times so far. My biggest concern is angular misalignment and it is the most difficult to detect using the tool. I would be interested to hear from members on the subject.

I have only checked a few that never had the engines out and they were pretty close but not perfect. The theory is that the hulls bend, flex and settle over the years changing the factory alignment although the factory might have not had them perfect either.

I was curious about this as well. My 96 pump bearings are shot, previous owner used an angle grinder to sharpen the impeller. I believe when he did that, it was never aligned and that's why the pump bearings are shot, the shims that go on the pump studs were missing as well. He also used and extremely unnecessary amount of silicone when he put the pump back one. I've checked alignment on one that I know hasn't had the engine out of it, similar to miki result. They were close but not perfect.

Bet the imbalance on the impeller accelerated the bearing damage. I have not yet come across shims on the pump studs or shims anywhere around the pump. Is that factory? If so....why?

Bet the imbalance on the impeller accelerated the bearing damage. I have not yet come across shims on the pump studs or shims anywhere around the pump. Is that factory? If so....why?
There definitely are shims on the pump. As to why, I couldn't tell you. Manual says to place pump shims where they were take from.

Or we talking about internal jet pump ships or shims between the pump housing and the mount? I mentioned "pump studs." Just making sure we are on the same page.

I have only checked a few that never had the engines out and they were pretty close but not perfect. The theory is that the hulls bend, flex and settle over the years changing the factory alignment although the factory might have not had them perfect either.

I would enjoy a tour of the factory so I could witness just how accurately they do things. That information gets muddled over the years. Factory alignment may be.... if you can slide the bar in without much pressure... it's close enough. LOL

On the older skis the shims were on the pump studs to get it straight then final alignment was done at the engine.

On the newer ones with the plastic pump shoe/plate the shims are between the plate and the hull so you will not see them unless you replace the plastic shoe/plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back