Drive shaft issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JJinSC

So today I went for about an hour ride on my 97 XP. When I got back to the dock, I heard bad rattle at idle. Not from the engine. The engine is running great. So I lifted the back hatch and saw pink dust all over. See picture. Also found this lump of pink plastic. See other picture. I suspected what it was and reached in to see if I could move the shaft back and forth behind the carrier bearing. There is about 1/4 inch play and a sound of metal against metal? Not sure how to attach video with Tapatalk. Has anyone had this happen and how easy is it to fix this? I think this is what is left of the plastic bushings in the knuckles of the outer front shaft housing.

Attachments

• IMG_2587.jpg
    IMG_2587.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2586.jpg
    IMG_2586.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 66
I tried uploading video but get, “the uploaded does not have an allowed extension” We can’t upload video from our smart phones??

Last edited:
That is your coupler rubber that is destroyed that connects the middle driveshaft to the rear driveshaft.
Image.gif

You will have to pull the rear driveshaft and pump then the carrier bearing to inspect it to see if you damaged the driveshaft fingers in addition to the rubber.

I was pretty sure that is what had happened. It’s just that I had never had any issues with the carrier bearing or shaft before. Therefore, I had never even taken the cover off to see the forward shaft. So I wasn’t sure how big a job this is going to be. I took the cover off today and it looks pretty simple. However my plan is to go ahead and pull out the front shaft and go ahead and replace the plastic coupler star bushing up there as well. Don’t you think that’s a good idea.? The carrier bearing is solid with no play. I think it is in perfect shape still. It looks as if the plastic star bushing just got old and brittle. Here is what I found under the cover.

IMG_2595.jpg

Just as I figured. I took the front cover at the PTO and the plastic up here is brittle and starting to come apart too.

IMG_2600.jpg

I’m glad this job was not as hard as I feared. Before I knew that the cover came off the carrier bearing housing and the front shaft would come out the back. I thought the engine was going to have to be pulled. I got her all apart quick and easy. It was only a 1 beer job. Just waiting on parts. I’m planning on replacing the Teflon insert bearings as well while I have it apart. Do these normally have a slit in them or have both of mine split?

aec1a61915af7afd254c41eb74b7065d.jpg

Last edited:
I see 3rd party like SBT brand on amazon. I assume I should stick with OEM for these parts. Where is the consensus of the forum to order these parts with quick delivery? I’m off the rest of the week and would love to get some more riding time on the river this week.

I have been using the WSM ones for years with no issues and I know PWC Muscle here sells them.

Your teflon bushing looks normal and typically don't need to be replaced.

I have been using the WSM ones for years with no issues and I know PWC Muscle here sells them.

Your teflon bushing looks normal and typically don't need to be replaced.

Thanks! After looking around, it looks like both the rubber coupler dampeners and the Teflon snap bushings have been discontinued by the manufacturer. So what is in stock OEM-wise of these parts maybe all there is left. I have now ordered the rubber dampeners from amazon prime and they are due to be delivered by Thursday so it looks like I will get some riding time in (yeah!!!). Since the Teflon snap bushings were discontinued and Seadoo warehouse (pwcmuscle) had some, I ordered just to have on hand. If they come in by the time I put it back together, I’ll go ahead and replace for peace of mind. If not, I’ll have them on hand for next time I pull the pump for service.

Thanks for all your input. It’s much appreciated!!

Last edited:
So yesterday, I made two separate orders to Seadoowarehouse.com. I immediately received the PayPal receipts by email only to receive an email for each order stating they had been refunded. No reason for refund nor any email from seadoowarehouse.com. Anybody have any ideas about this ??

I received the coupler dampeners today and put it back together. Went for a test run. Everything worked great except I still had to put a zip tie between carbon ring and rubber bellow to prevent leaking. Looks like it is time for a new bellow and carbon ring. Though my carbon ring does not look that worn to me. It’s in the video I posted. Does this look warn to anyone?

Still waiting for response from @hfgreg about orders.

Last edited:
Went for another ride today. About an hour. Just to be certain all is ok after replacing the coupler dampeners, I keep checking the drive train. It appears the carrier bearing is producing a good deal of heat. Do they normally get too hot to touch? Is there a way to make sure it is spinning properly while together or is this a reason for concern? Your thoughts?

I have never touched one but I wouldn't think they should get too hot to touch. Do you feel any play in it?

Also if you add too much grease it will pop the seal out the back side which is an issue.

I have never touched one but I wouldn't think they should get too hot to touch. Do you feel any play in it?

Also if you add too much grease it will pop the seal out the back side which is an issue.
I’ve never touched it until now either is one reason I posted. I had no reference and was hoping someone else had reference. I’ve always followed the maintenance on greasing it to the t. Only grease it once a season with about 2-3 pumps. There is no play in it and everything spins really smooth now when running. Just can’t tell if that bearing is spinning or if the shaft is just spinning inside of it.

I should have checked that before putting it back together. I did check for play but did not think to check to see if it spun freely as I saw now other damage other than the dampeners.
Should I take it back out the water and break it back apart and check to see if it spins freely or is there a way that I should be able to tell by looking at it while running?

Should this lip be spinning with the shaft or sitting still?
431ff5f8b23db8017a3c0c32216d6448.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing that should be spinning is the shaft itself.

Also never seen anyone put a ziptie where you have one on the carbon seal.

When are you planning on riding next? Or any other XP riders out there? Just wondering how hot your carrier bearings get?

I put the zip tie there to hold the carbon ring a little more forward. Without it the carbon seal leaks. Ordering a new carbon seal and bellow to fix that permanently. Where do you normally put the zip tie for that temp fix?

At the rear of the hull against the fiberglass.

Any reason I should move it back there? So what is your take on the heat of the carrier bearing.? You think the heat is normal or should I break it back apart for a closer inspection? At this point, I’m not sure what I would be looking for cause all looked well when I was in there.

It will be fine since you are replacing it.

On the carrier it's probably fine, I assume it will generate some heat normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back