Drain Plug O-ring replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AirJordan613

One of my drain plug o-rings cracked in half and fell off. The other isn't looking so good. I found on the forum that the size is 12 at ace. My question is how do you remove the drain plug without breaking the retainers so that the new o-ring can be installed?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399315103.094578.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 ways, reach into the ski and bend it sideways and pop the plug out OR take the 2 screws off and remove the whole drain piece, install your new o ring and then re-install. Use some silicon when re-installing for a good seal.

Which do you recommend? I've got an '01 XP and '05 RXT I'm gonna replace both rings in each.

Thanks! I picked up some o-rings and I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can pull the plugs from the outside with needle nose pliers.

You'll find it easier to just remove the screws and take the whole assembly out. Chances are you're gonna break it with needle nose pliers. It's a great idea on paper but in reality not so much. Only reason I say that is because I've been there and done that.

You'll find it easier to just remove the screws and take the whole assembly out. Chances are you're gonna break it with needle nose pliers. It's a great idea on paper but in reality not so much. Only reason I say that is because I've been there and done that.

How do you reseal if you take the whole assembly out?

I used a little bit if silicone. Just make sure you let it dry before you put it back in the water.

A good quality o-ring will be pliable enough to stretch over the cap without breaking. I have done this several times. Much easier than removing anything imo.

just wood type screws into the hull, but will take some effort to remove as they are sealed in place as well.

Assembly didn't need to be removed. I replaced the rings in all 4 plugs by just pulling the plugs. Nothing broke. Thanks for everyone's advice though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back