Dock Damage

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bren989

I hit the dock head on this past weekend going about 3-5 mph. Brake didn't engage quick enough but that is besides the point. My question here is whether or not this needs a professional job. I'm a 2 year pwc owner and would not consider myself anything more than a novice. I would like to fix this myself to avoid the $500 shop price tag on the repair but the ski is only 2 years old so I want to fix it the right way. Is this an easy gelcoat repair that I can buy a kit online and add a little marine Tex or is it a fiberglass job that I should take to a professional to prevent the dreaded de-lamination issue I've seen on these forums. Attached is a picture of the damage with my pointer fingernail for scale. Thanks!

59.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I got something very sim about 2 weeks ago I have stuff coming from amazon and plan to fill mine myself.. cant speak to how well it works but can let you know in another week

Where are you loacated. I have a guy who does all work for local dealers and he is cheap when it's cash. Try finding someone to do a cash job with sea doo gel coat

I started a thread called: Gelcoat with a PreVal sprayer about 3 weeks ago that should help.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=82978

I had damage far worse than that and filled it first, but I think you could clean up the edges and just use gelcoat or mix it with Cabosil to make a paste to fill it if it is too deep. Then just gelcoat to fill and blend. That area is small enough that I don't think you have to spray it.

Yeah, I saw that thread a couple days ago and it ways very helpful. I just wanted to make sure all I need to do is fix the gelcoat rather than fix the fiberglass. I do have a couple of questions about your repair: 1) Were you happy with the result of the gelcoat color using gelocote.ca? I was deciding between them and spectrum color. 2) Did you like the way the 3m marine filled worked or would you go with something else next time?

Dave,
I just read through your thread again and I answered my second question (3m worked well but was not needed with how thick it is and how shallow the gouge was). My new question is when mixing the carbosil with the gelcoat, what ratio do you go with? Looking at my gouge I would say it's about ¼ of an inch deep.

I used Gelcoat International because they were the only ones who could supply the metallic gelcoat that my ski needed. They were great and the color match is as close to perfect as you can get after 5 yrs. Shipping from Canada was no fun. Yours looks like black, which should be easier to get and blend.

As you saw, I don't think you will need a filler. It looks like your dock damage chipped off a chunk of gelcoat and did not cause further damage. When mixing additives, you want a consistency that will not run or sag out of your repair. West Systems has a few videos on how to mix stuff to different consistencies. The consistency of the 3M filler I used was like peanut butter. It held to a completely vertical surface.

After your final gelcoat only application, you can cover it with a piece of Mylar or even wax paper; if you want. I did not. You do need to know if the gelcoat you buy is waxed or Unwaxed. If it is waxed, you need to let it cure, then sand before another coat. Unwaxed, you layer it up when it gets tacky, then you need PVA (I used PVA from Evercoat - bought it on Amazon) or the Mylar to seal it from the air so it can cure.

Then a sanding, compounding and polishing sequence. It sounds complicated, but I thought it was easier than I anticipated-except for the orange peel. I would certainly tackle another project like that.

Okay, thank you for all your help. I think I'm gong to order from gelcote international just because I like that they make seadoo's gelcoat. How long should I expect shipping to the US to be? I will let you know when I have this completed and post pictures. Any tips on blending to avoid color differences?

The time for the shipment was 4 or 5 days. Ground only. It cost about $15, though.

Some other members commented in my other thread about blending. If I remember, they recommended getting to a design line or under a decal. Yours is right in front and I did not see anything nearby that could fool the eye. I think it will be a little easier because it is not metallic. Good Luck.

Okay, I will order from gelcote and pay the $15 to get the same stuff seadoo buys. I will update when I start the project. One more question: is the Mylar a substitute for the PVA and if so, which cures faster. Thanks for all the help.

Yeah I did. I also watched one from another guy who was doing everything you described in your thread on a fiberglass kayak (all the sanding steps and then all the buffing steps) so I feel good about the repair. My understanding is that the job is just a lot or work, not necessarily difficult. I will take on the project once I get all my materials in and rewatch all the videos and read through your thread again.

Okay, I will order from gelcote and pay the $15 to get the same stuff seadoo buys. I will update when I start the project. One more question: is the Mylar a substitute for the PVA and if so, which cures faster. Thanks for all the help.

As far as I know, Mylar is a substitute if you are using a waxed gelcoat. Maybe another member can chime in. I don't think there is much difference in cure time. The wax in the gelcoat rises to the surface and blocks the air. The Mylar taped over it helps it along. PVA is for when there is no wax in the gelcoat. Since it is a complete covering, you don't need anything over it and it just washes off. So check your gelcoat product. If it is a repair kit, I would bet it is waxed. The best source for Mylar, imo, was told by [MENTION=74953]3ftDeep[/MENTION]; a balloon from the Dollar Store.

Okay, I'm under the impression the 2oz repair kit from gelcote international comes with 2 sheets of Mylar so I will plan on using that and if that doesn't work out I'll find some pvc on Amazon and take advantage of the free next day delivery they now off me if the Mylar doesn't fit my needs. I'm going to call gelcote this afternoon and order the kit and get some information from the sales people about whether it's waxed or not and what the sheets of Mylar are like size wise and see if they will fit my needs.

I got all the materials in on Monday and finished the sanding and polishing today. Here is the result.
311.jpg

Minus a little dent where the gelcoat didn't fill all the way I am very happy with the repair. I would say it's 95% better. The color is an almost perfect match. I struggle to find the repair. Thank you to all who helped me with this repair. It was much easier than expected. I didn't need any cabosil to fill the chip as the gelcoat was thick enough. The sanding was the hardest part and took about an hour and a half. The whole project took around 3 hours. If anybody has any questions, let me know and I can make a step by step guide with detailed information if anybody is interested. Thanks again everyone! I would definitely take on something like this again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I am very happy with the repair. The color match is as close to perfect as possible so that makes me happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back