differential diagnosis please

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jords

ok please move this thread cause I posted it in the wrong place again #$%^&

So some of you know I have a 95 speedster, which on its first run was doing about 50 ish (48) mph as per speedo. The previous owner claimed it would hit 60. After all the research I could find here and everywhere this boat caps out at 50-52 mph.

So what I did was change the plugs, drained the gas and oil top it all up gave it a good waxing just the basic stuff. I took it out for another run to see how she would perform

I have a tom tom and it said 59mph on it when I was WOT....not that Iam complaining but that is pretty quick.

2 questions

I assume the tom tom would have the same accuracy land or water

and what do you think was done to this boat to hit that speed? ( the previous owner was like I dunno I only had it a year)

and to help with your assumptions I weigh 240 lbs and the boat had about 3/4 of a tank

Last edited by a moderator:
787?

Unless someone pulled the engines and modded to 787's, there's no way you can get that kind of speed.

Your Tom Tom must be off....:rofl: The GPS calculates speeds by satellite so, I'd assume that your GPS readings would combine wind and current with forward movement. But even then, there is no way to hit those speeds, unless your in a hurricane....:cheers:

I assume the tom tom would have the same accuracy land or water

and what do you think was done to this boat to hit that speed?

and to help with your assumptions I weigh 240 lbs and the boat had about 3/4 of a tank

#1 yes it is the same land and air and water

#2 Never underestimate the power of a good hull waxing, Going with the wind and or current .
People rarely beleive that I got my Columbia 24foot sail boat to 21 knots but it was in roling seas 35knot winds running a 145% genoa , bacically surfing on a down hill run and in danger of pitch poling if the bow would have dug in . This was the leading waves to hurricane Floyd some of you may remember . I survived all of it trying to get back to Jacksonville NC. No sleep for 4 days

How many RPM did you reach? were any inproovments made to the motor before you ?

Just dont jinx it and enjoy :hurray:

Last edited by a moderator:
i know wierd huh, but the speedo was buried to 60 and the first run it was only hitting 50 on speedo .........well I don't know .....Im going to try it again and take a picture of the gps

Rpm....

If the rpm exceeded 7200, then you've likely got modded engines. If not, then you may have a set of modded pumps.

I'm not saying it's impossible for you to achieve those speeds, just highly unlikely from a stock perspective.

Seadoopilot, I had a 22' Catalina with a wing keel and I know that a sail boat can kick up some good speeds. Here, we have the Dauphin Island Regatta and I've seen some killer speeds from these modified race sails....I never raced but during the winter months, I'd take it out in the bay and catch the north winds. Man, it was like you said, "bacically surfing on a down hill run and in danger of pitch poling if the bow would have dug in".

I sold it after hurricane Katrina damaged the starboard beam at the freeboard and shrouds (fore, center and aft). Most of the standing and running rigging faired well in the winds, I think had I been able to moor open, it would have been o.k......I sold it to a guy in Louisana for dirt cheap. I may be a reasonably good mechanic but I know nothing about fiberglass work....:cheers:

Seadoopilot, I had a 22' Catalina with a wing keel and I know that a sail boat can kick up some good speeds. :

Yah but you would be surprised how hany people would try to tell me that I was lieing and try to get into a fight over it . I ended up droping my mast when the starbord chain plate gave way . I have pictures of it tho I did not cut it loose , I let it drag from the stern , it slowed me down and kept the bow up( after I pulled the forstay pin. Lost a hatch . I looked like a drowned cat when it was over when the mast started to hit bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back