Did I flood the engine with antifreeze? 1997 Spx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi this being my first year of owning a PWC (1997 Spx), I went to winterize it as summer is all over here in Vancouver BC. Without thinking much I watched a Youtube video of a guy who used a drill pump to pump marine antifreeze into the engine without turning it on. So i followed... i pinched the hose to prevent antifreeze from coming out the back and proceed to pump antifreeze into the engine till it came out of the pisser in the rear. And fogged the carbs and cylinders. Then while doing more research i found out some people flood the engine by doing that. So i took the spark plugs out and cranked the engine nothing came out ither than some fogging oil. Oil tank looks good (not contaminated. I started the ski started fine lots of smoke from the fogging oil. But nothing out of the ordinary; antifreeze shot out when i blipped the throttle instead of water. So my question is how do i know if i flooded the engine with antifreeze? And when an engine gets flooded is it usually the cylinders that flood first or the crankcase ? Should i be worried ?

Thank you,

There’s no connection to your oil system so don’t worry about that.

If you flooded the engine with antifreeze it wouldn’t crank and you would have a hydrolocked engine and wet plugs.

I would fire it up again a give it some revs to blow out any water then fog it again and it’ll be fine.

When wintering you are only getting the water out of the cooling jackets and some spots in the exhaust. These areas pretty much drain with gravity so don’t think you’re filling the system up like in a car.

There’s no connection to your oil system so don’t worry about that.

If you flooded the engine with antifreeze it wouldn’t crank and you would have a hydrolocked engine and wet plugs.

I would fire it up again a give it some revs to blow out any water then fog it again and it’ll be fine.

When wintering you are only getting the water out of the cooling jackets and some spots in the exhaust. These areas pretty much drain with gravity so don’t think you’re filling the system up like in a car.

Yup, i pulled the plugs to make sure there is no antifreeze, there wasn’t and cranked it over and it started right up, blew the excess antifreeze out of the exhaust and fogged again. Thanks!. I guess i didn’t flood it to begin with as there was no antifreeze in the cylinders.

To get antifreeze in the engine you would have to fill the cooling system and then the exhaust pipe outer jacket and then the exhaust can would have to fill up completely.
With e oug fluid and enough pressure it would back up inside the exhaust pipe and dump into the cylinders.

It's pretty hard to do. You should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back