DI Repairs & Info

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Starting this thread so we can help one another with the DI's. Here are a few pictures of the ones I'm currently working on. These skis are not simple but not all that bad to work on and much more simple than automotive systems. Knowing how the system works and what it is looking for is the key. I'll be looking at this and I"m hoping we can help one another better understand and solve problems. I have the Candoo and I gotta say, when I plugged it into the 2003 DI I was surprised at how much information and control is at your fingertips. I generally troubleshoot "old school style" physical test and verify. Here are the skis I currently have. After I install the engines, I'm hoping they just.... do what they are suppose to do. Ha ha. LETs GET STARTED !!

2003 RX DI -1st Picture - Running
2002 RX DI - 2nd - Needs engine - engine at the shop
2003 GTX DI - 3rd - Needs engine - engine complete and enroute
2003 XP DI - 4th - guy said it runs. - LOL haven't looked at it but it will be a while before I do. The thought of working on these XPs IRKs me. They appear difficult..

2003 RX  Mat Finish  (3).JPEG2001 RX Blue (2).JPEG2003 GTX DI Red 2.jpg2003 XP (1).JPEG

I'm gonna try this thread for INFO.

2003 RX DI engine fogging. On the RX DI above (red one) what is the best way to fog the engine and how often should it be fogged. The ski will be on or near the water constantly and ridden often. I'm guessing lift the airbox rubber flaps and spray in some fogging oil. As mentioned these ski will be ridden often. I don't want to foul the plugs or whatever. Help advice is appreciated.

Good looking fleet! I just picked up a red 2003 RXDI to restore. Put a used fuel pump/pickup in, and she finally runs.

P.O. said the battery would die in it. When I disconnect the battery, I can hear a relay clicking. When I connect the battery +12V again I hear the relay click, even with no DESS key on the post for 15 minutes.

I've unplugged the DESS post harness, and still hear the relay firing. The battery has one positive and two negatives - a large wire and smaller wire that goes into the coil box.

Have you seen battery issues on yours? I've searched the forums and don't see notes on this issue!

EDIT: Ahh, I wasn't using the right search term, it's called a cut-off relay, and my diode may be dead inside! Will see if I can fix that this week...

Last edited:
2 wires on the negative On the DI? I'll have to look. I wonder if that clicking is the holder relay. Is it a very soft click.? I'm hard of hearing so I have to listen for it. If it is the one I'm thinking about it is in the center of the rear electrical box. It should not energize though unless the key is inserted. From what I read on the 787 that relays job is to make sure the battery does NOT drain. LOL GTI Electric (2).jpegGTI Rear Elec. 2003-1.jpeg

Correct, that is indeed the faint click, and your relay cover is broken, so your metal is exposed... I'm not even sure how that is working, it looks baked!

A diode allows current to go one direction, and that's probably my issue...

Last edited:
Correct, that is indeed the faint click, and your relay cover is broken, so your metal is exposed... I'm not even sure how that is working, it looks baked!

A diode allows current to go one direction, and that's probably my issue...
I posted this picture to help identify the location of the relay and this picture is from a GTI.. The ski is long gone but believe it or not this rely was working perfectly. I did replace it of course. . :) I'll look tomorrow at the DI.

Got it, I'm going to do a new thread as I have decoded some wiring tonight on this relay...

Did you ever Figure anything out? I have a 03 rxdi that has the same problem. It cooked the cut off relay. I replaced it and was still having problems. I thought the ground for the relay was bad so I just grounded it to a metal bolt in the electrical box. It still had the same problem after so I installed a battery cut off under the seat for when Im not using it so it doesn't drain. The ski has sat for 2 years since and I just got it out on the water today! Im going to rebuild the jet drive and would like to try and fix the battery drain. Do you think replacing the ground from the cut off to the mpem would fix the problem?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back