Depth gauge keeps showing 5 feet, any suggestions?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faken

Hi guys,

So with my first boat finally running fine *knock on wood* I'm noticing the depth gauge sits constantly at 5 feet. When you reset it on the water, it seems to read accurately for a split second, say 18 feet for example, then goes to 10, then goes to 5 and stays there. This week I'll open it up and clean out the sensor, hopefully it's just dirty, but my question is - is there some way of testing the sensor without having to put it in the water? Is there anything else I should try should the cleaning not work? The sensor was working before I had it so it was working a few weeks ago.

Thanks,
Dan

Nope... No good way to test it "Off line".

Chances are, the transducer has gone bad.

Thanks Tony, any recommendations on where I can acquire a replacement for a good price online, or should I just go to my local Seadoo dealer and "the price is the price"? I'll try cleaning it all up and give it a go this weekend, but if that doesn't work, I'll have to replace it.

Dan

OK so I just went outside and the sensor easily just popped off the bottom and I cleaned it all up and tested it in a bucket of water. You can definitely hear it clicking away in the water and as I turn it around in the bucket, the gauge shows 4.2 to 5.8. Now on the gauge you can set the sensitivity, so I am wondering if maybe my brother accidentally changed it and that's causing an issue. It is currently set to 3, and if I bump it up to 5, the same moving around the bucket business shows 6 feet to 8.8 feet. What should the sensitivity be set to?

Also, here are some pics and one thing I noticed is that the soft plastic base of the wire that allows the wire to flex has broken away from the sensor housing and is loose on the wire. Could this allow water in the sensor and damage it or something? See the attached photos for what I mean:

433.jpg

434.jpg

Ultimately though, if I can indeed just use a fish finder and the transducer can just be epoxied to the hull where the old sensor was located and it will work, I would definitely do that as I intend to use this to hit some fishing holes as well as pull some wakeboards :)

For this transducer, is it enough to just lay it flat in it's original spot the next time I go out to test it or do I have to install it somehow temporarily?

I've tried looking for the part numbers but when I go here: http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com...CAL---STEERING-HARNESS-W/-GUAGES-AND-SWITCHES the depth gauge is completely missing from the diagram so I am assuming this is aftermarket. :S

The depth gauge is the dial on the dash all the way to the right with the black trim.

435.jpg

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for all the newbie questions, I am slowly figuring this out as I read new information online. So as of now, obviously this is an after-market depth gauge and they appear to be a standard size and available from various brands at my local shop for $100 - $150. I've also read about the slow curing epoxy that should be used to avoid air bubbles etc to install the transducer and that yes, all of these can be installed against a fiberglass hull as long as it's not cored, and yes fish finders work fine as well. So I'm learning... lol! But I do have some questions on this current sensor:

1. The old sensor easily came off the hull with a gentle tug and the epoxy job was clearly crap as there was just a bit of epoxy used and there was clearly large gaps/air pockets under it. So, I am wondering if the transducer was getting bad readings because the epoxy was no longer properly bonded to the hull and water and oil etc was getting under it. Is this a possibility?

2. Before I buy anything, I would like to take out the boat this weekend and try to temporarily adhere the transducer back to the hull (it was located right next to the bilge pump) and see if it works. I read a trick that someone used to temporarily create a seal between the transducer and the hull without air by using a big ol glob of petroleum jelly. So for the sake of testing the transducer for a few minutes out on the water, what do you guys think about taking a big scoop of vaseline, pressing it to the mounting spot and then pushing the transducer in until it's flush? Would this work for the sake of testing? Unfortunately the wire isn't long enough to get it more than 8 inches from the engine compartment, otherwise I could have just held it over the edge of the boat in the water itself to take some readings.

EDIT - I read another trick for testing... fill the hull with enough water to submerge the transducer and then lay it down flat and cover with a sandbag to hold it down.

3. Getting away from the depth sensor, quick question about the bilge pump... if the bilge pump engages due to water, how long is it normal for the pump to keep running once all the water is emptied? I tested it out last night and the bilge worked but kept running a good 2 minutes once there was no water left. I was worried it was jammed or something so I disconnected the battery to stop it.

EDIT - I figured out what kind of depth finder this is... it's a Humminbird HDR 610.

Thanks for bearing with me... this is the first time I own a boat like this and I've only had it for a week so you can imagine just how intimidating this is for me.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back