Depth finder install

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

flrnemt

I bought a Marpac depth finder, which turns out is made by Hawkeye which many of you have installed. I was originally gonna install in a pod, as I could not find a place to install on dash:

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

It just didn't seem like it would fit anywhere by eye, so I finally broke out the tape measure and pulled the stereo to check depth, and VOILA!!!:

121.jpg

122.jpg

I had the choice of black ring and face or white. The black matched the other gauges, but the white looks better mounted on the white background. I didn't want to mess with the main electrical plugs on the boat, so I just tapped into the radio power, which is on with the switch "ON" so it works without boat running, and grounded it on the main ground plate in the dash.

I forgot to take a pic of the puck placement, but placed it on starboard engine compartment floor behind engine and a foot from transom, wher I'vr seen a few mounted. I called a local ski shop to find where the factory puck went, but they weren't very specific. Hope the placement is good.

Always mount in-hull pucks as far back as possible. Seriously.

I have TWO in-hull pucks in my boat because I didn't mount as far rearward as possible the first time (and because I really did a great job epoxying it in!). I expected the water just in front of the jetdrive intake to be relatively low turbulence, but above ~30 MPH it is right at the waterline and the turbulence rendered the puck useless.

I obtained a second puck and installed it all the way at the back of the engine compartment, right up against the transom, almost blocking one of the drain plugs. Works great at any speed. Think about it: the bottom of the transom is always going to be in the water unless you're airborne, in which case you need an altimeter, not a depth sounder! {grin}

When I called the dealer, they told me on the port side way back there was a flat spot where the factory ones go. Of course, I couldn't find this spot they talk of, the water box is there.

Looks very good, great job. I'm sure that will give others members and idea or two.

Yeah, I've never cut fiberglass before, and was really worried about screwing up the console. Plus, when I went to Lowes to buy the 2" hole saw, they were $50 - $80 bucks. I found the better section where it was only $7.35, phew!!! Made sure I bought some masking tape, taped it up good, got about 3/8 inches in, and my battery died. Had to plug in my charger and go for a ride to the beach while I waited, it was horrible! LOL Cut came out incredibly clean. Now I won't be afraid to upgrade my stereo system later on.

Next, I wanna install a boost gauge to keep an eye on my supercharger. Met a guy who put one on his ski, mounted it on the body panel in front of the seat, looked awesome. He's from another site though, but I told him about this one.

I put one in last year, the wife had a fix because I was drilling a (as she put it) a huge hole in the boat and we were going to sink. happy I did it and it nice to have. Yours looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back