Depth Finder Install, 2011 challenger 180

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue huron

There's a spot for the depth finder on the dashboard but I can't find out how to take the dash out. Do I need to go through the front seat? Thanks

Okay, found the two screws that hold the front seat back cushion on and it gave me access to the rear of the instrument panel!

I too am interested in seeing this. I have been looking at some garmin units for a bit now and would like to do something similar mainly because my stock depth gauge is about 3-6 ft off....really surprising when I slip off the back of the boat and keep going down.

Well, depth finder installed and working perfectly! I boat on some shallow waters of the Allegheny River north of Pittsburgh PA. Installed the Faria brand and was rewarded with a simple installation. For my 2011 Challender 180 the power wires (purple and black) were sitting behind the blank gauge in the instrument panel. I just had to splice them on to the Faria gauge and the power part of the installation was done. I used fish tape that I got at Lowes and went from the instrument panel along the drivers side wall to the engine compartment. I then used electrical tape to attach the transducer cord to the fish tape and pulled it back. The transducer cord just plugs into the back of the Faria gauge. Now finding the best place for the transducer was a bit of a chore. I tried at least 10 locations and found a nice circular location AFT of the engine. I had to use a 2x10 board to lay on to work in the engine compartment and gloves (fiberglass slivers everywhere!). I also went with the slow dry epoxy and glued the transducer directly to the hall. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:
I would replace those wire nuts an electrical tape with some weatherproof butt connectors. They're super cheap and the way to go when wiring up anything in a boat.

WP Conn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back