Debating selling my 2005 Seadoo Challenger 180 SCIC

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottrappley

Was debating between an I/O vs jet boat. Thinking of selling and going to an I/O. Any one with some bad experiences with a jet boat?

Last edited:
I love the jet. Easy to work on & the ability to send the kids out back to swim & play is peace of mind that is invaluable for us. Yeah the sucking stuff up from time is a bummer but compared to watching my dad change & refurbish props or rebuild lower units etc, on I/O’s it seems that the jets are easier. Plus the dependability of the rotax & the fact that I have two means of one engine ever did fail or what’s more likely is to suck something up then I can still get home on the other. I don’t think jets make as good of wake for surfing as I/O but that seems to be my take on it. Know Amy friends with the type of boat you might consider to “try it out”?

We would not trade our jet for an I/O, not even a consideration. We really like the simplicity and ease of maintenance. My parents have an I/O and they really like it but it's not what works for us. We like the jet, the instant power and once your used to it the control and maneuverability is impressive. Hands down jet all the way.

Really depends on what you want to use the boat and where you plan on doing the majority of your boating. We went from skis, to an inboard to our current jet and our next will be a stern drive due to the size we are looking to get (27').

Pros:
great maneuverability.
no exposed props
Fast
Cool

Cons:
Sucks in weedy/grassy conditions.
Wind blows them around more due to no "skeg" below the waterline at slow speeds.
Loud compared to other boats we've owned.
Being a Sea Doo that no longer is made, possible resale hit as time goes on and difficulty finding shops to work on boats.
Having to get into the water to clear out obstructions (especially during the winter months).
Lousy Fuel economy

I/O Pros:
No worries of clogged pumps and getting into cold water to free obstructions.
A little more stability at slower speeds due to "skeg" below waterline.
Quieter at speed
Decent fuel economy
Easy to find parts
trimmable outdrives

Cons:
exposed prop
Not as cool as a jet.
Slower than comparably sized jets.

Can't really think of too many other cons for the I/O aside from what others have mentioned. I'm sure others will chime in.

I'd definitely go test drive each to see which you like better as they drive very differently from one another.
Were you looking at anything particular? Used or new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back