Debadging issues 93 SPI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irrumater

I am working to remove all the faded factory decals and previous owners registration numbers from a 92 SPI. I started with a 3m eraser wheel on my drill and while I thought it worked fast and easy it appears to have only taken off the color layer. The surface is polished smooth and white, but you can clearly see the details of the decal, and feel the decal still there.
Then I tried a heat gun and ( what I thought was) carefully scraping the edges. Still no luck and in fact I gouged and took out a chunk of gel coat I now get to fix. Any suggestions on get these the rest go the way off? Photos are a couple of examples, the entire ski is like this.

IMG_1681.jpgIMG_1682.jpgIMG_1680.jpg

The problem is that what is behind probably isn't the decal, it is the original full thickness gelcoat. Over 20+ years the gelcoat actually degrades, shrinks and is worn down with the original thickness being perfectly preserved under decals.

Only option is to wetsand, buff and polish but it will never be perfect.

I guess that makes sense. I was expecting fading behind the decal, but when it was noticeably proud of the surrounding area The ghosting was detailed enough to read the words figured something was up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back