Dealer service VS Self service

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

astronomy

I have an 08 RXP 4-tec and was just wondering if I really need to be taking this machine to the dealer for routine service, oil changes/winterize..etc. I have been reading the posts and it seams that everyone agrees, no matter what type ski, there's not much value for the money at dealer services. If this is the case having a 4 tec and living in florida (rarely freezes) and keeping the ski garaged all year, is there more I need to know than.... change plugs, change oil/filter/o-ring, keep moving parts lubed and adjusted and tend to battery? how many hours should I go between oil changes? spark plugs?

Here in Clearwater. Have the 4-TEC SC, bought myself an oil pump for $50. It's $150 an oil change, c'mon. Took me 15 minutes. If you can turn a wrench, you can do most of the basic work yourself. I had to invest in SC repair tools for $88, but it's $500+ for them to do it each year. I'm not sure about time frame between oil changes, but I plan on doing each year along with sparks and SC rebuild. I bought the synthetic, so should last longer. Where you at in Tampa Bay area?

yeah I can turn a wrench, and that's what I figured, I'm capable of all the basics and it's kinda like a car engine (the 4 tec) if it runs good it doesn't need servicing. Thinking I'll change oil every 20 to 25 hours then? more ? less? I'm here in Brandon usually go to old Tampa Bay for a quick fix and drop in at clearwater by the library for the day trips. sometimes go down to St Pete.

I lived in Brandon in '04 at Lumsden and Brandon Parkway at Paddock Club Apts. Loved it out there, but the drive to the water sucked (was towing a 21' 3500 lb boat) Have you tored the new boat ramp in Largo? They did a beautiful job, it's like 3 times the size it was before the new bridge. They should do that under every new bridge, build a spoil island and give us a place to launch. We should get something more out of our $7 a day for parking/ramp use.

Here is the thing. Is it under warranty? If so, I would recommend finding a dealership so they cannot screw you on it. If not, WGAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back