Dealer has a NEW 2006 Speedster 200 (310hp), what's the best price?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Five-O

Hey guys,

I found a SeaDoo dealer that has a NEW 2006 Speedster 200 (310hp) for sale. The general manager on the phone told me I could have it for $24,000. I asked if the $3000 rebate was good on the 2006 models and he said yes. What kind of price do you guys think I should offer? Or do you guys think I should buy a 2007 or 2008 Speedster 200 Supercharged (430hp) instead? Thanks!

A new 06 on the floor and it is half way through 09. I would low ball this guy, stick to your guns, expalain how the supercharged ones are so much better, and see what happens. Do not cave in. Walk away and let them call you back a day or two later, because they will :)

So MSRP back in 2006 was $29,995. Minus the $3000 rebate, and take away about $2000.00 a year from 2006 to 2009 is about $6000. Do you think an offer of $20,995 is a realistic price???

A Five-o,

$24 grand? he's smoking something illegal! Once you drop that boat in the water you own a used 3 year old boat. What will it be worth?

In January I bought a new leftover 2007 Utopia 205 310hp Power package for a fraction of what your guy is asking.

Craig

Any idea what KBB has listed for the boat w/options? Might be a good starting point. Also see if he'll throw in an "extras" like skis, towables etc. Might be worth it, maybe even a wake tower.

NADA retail

Nada has that boat value listed used as such:

May 13, 2009
Boats and Personal Watercraft
Length: 20'
Model Name/Description: SPEEDSTER 200(*)
Boat Type: Jet Drive Boats
Hull Material: Fiberglass

Beam: 8'
Engine: 2
155 HP
Gasoline
Net Weight: 2770
print this page

PRICING

Low Retail Average Retail

Base Price $12,920 $14,990
TOTAL PRICE$12,920 $14,990

Suggested List: $29,499

Any idea what KBB has listed for the boat w/options? Might be a good starting point. Also see if he'll throw in an "extras" like skis, towables etc. Might be worth it, maybe even a wake tower.

Given that info I'd offer him $13000 and work your way up into a service contract with him for anything above $14000. I suppose you might have to factor in the csot of the trailer as well. :rolleyes:

I’m not a dealer, but I work close with them. Close enough to know how they work, and how the numbers work.

It is very unfortunate for that dealer since he is going to loose money. The thing is… he still paid probably close to $3000 under the retail price. Sure, the $3000 is a kickback from Sea-Doo… and since he’s offering it to you for $24k, that means he has already given you his “profit” from the sale of the boat. Also, the reality of it is… most dealers don’t own the vehicles on their lot… so he’s been paying interest on his “Floor plan.” (the vehicles in his shop) Unless he just wants to dump it, and take an even bigger loss, he will probably stick to that price since someone will buy it as summer builds. If he is a VERY large dealer… he may have to power to buy his inventory, and if that’s the case… he may be able to come down on the price. (you may want to ask around to find out) But I know the dealers around here may have over a hundred bikes and PWC on the floor, and they still don’t have the power to buy their inventory.

Yes, as soon as you buy it, you own a 3 year old boat… but let’s face it… it’s still a new boat, and you will get a 5 year warranty on it.

I would love to tell you that he will give it to you for $20k, but at $24k, he’s still loosing the 3 years of interest he’s paid on the boat.

Now, as far as getting stuff thrown in… if he’s loosing money… that will be hard to do too. Just to let you guys know… if you get freebees with a vehicle… you paid too much. You would be better off to ask for a slightly lower price, and ask for a discount in his parts shop. He will make 30% to 50% on parts, and if he knows you are going to buy parts from him (locking you in with a discount) he may move on the boat price, hopping to make it up on other sales.

Just my two cents… take it for what it’s worth.

Last thing…

Let him finance you… even if you have the cash to buy it, or have other financing in line. Most dealers get $$$ back from the banks they use. It could be a set price ($100) or a percentage of the sale. If he’s going to make a $100 or more on the financing… then they will work on price more. If you have the cash… you can just pay off the loan the day after the sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Honda,

You provide good insight however your missing some key elements.

1) The economy is in shambles. The boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Not many are buying.

2) BRP is heavily subsidizing boats. How did I get my new 2007 utopia 205 for under $15,000 OTD?

Craig

Yes, the economy SUCX right now… but if a dealer looses money on every sale… he will be out of business.

Yes, BRP is giving cash back to the dealers to move older boats, but as far as I know… 3K is it. But, saying that… I will find out.

AS far as your smoking good deal… that dealer may have the cash to buy his inventory. When that happens… the “Normal” pricing goes out the door. If a dealer can buy their inventory… then:

1)they don’t pay interest every month

2)they get a 2% to 5% discount on the vehicles

3)they probably buy and sell more units than most, and get an even larger discount because of volume. (the guy I work close with can get up to 10% if he takes 50 of a given bike, over taking 10)

Also… if you have a dealer that closes, and someone else buys them out… the regular pricing goes out the door also. If one shop buys out an other… they may get bikes/PWC/Boats at a fraction of the cost of new since it’s a bank liquidating them, and not the OEM.

All I can say is… I wish I fell into your deal. I can buy stuff from two dealers at cost… and I don’t think I can get that price.

According the NADA on this boat, the difference between low retail and average is ~2k. So lets assume excellent would add 2k more. So, this boat will be worth approx 17k MAX the second you drive it off the lot (that includes the trailer btw).

I wouldn't spend more than 18-20k for this boat. Also, make dam sure the warranty begins after you purchase. I would get it in writing on the dealers letterhead. If its true they should have no problem putting it in writing.

Also, I would bring the NADA print out and show they guy. Fact is its a 3+ year old boat regardless if it has miles on it or not. The warranty is worth something and that's justification for 1-2k over the 17k value.

Good luck, and if he doesn't want to negotiate move on. There are some amazing deals out there if you put in the time to find them..

Robert,

I agree with everything you said. Of course just like we have the right to walk away if the deal isnt what we want, the dealer has the right to not sell the boat. I think your 18K-20K is the max I would go as well. This is assuming the boat is pristine right out of the shrinkwrap new condition. If it was slightly weathered like mine was then the price goes down.

Craig

Thanks for all the input guys! I will try to see if I can get that bad boy for $18K-$20K. I will let you guys know the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back