D.E.S.S post issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jools

Hi peoples,

I posted last year a problem i was having with my 2004 4 tec Sportster, having used the boat several times after purchase it was left to stand for approx 3 weeks. Returning to it to carry out winter shut down and prep i found that it wouldnt beep when the lanyard was attached to the dess post. I looked into the problem and decided to replace the dess post, a new one bought and soldered onto the connector, i attached it as normal and still no beeps.

I know that we have a connection as the fuel pump kicks in when the lanyard is attached but it doesnt beep and it wont start. I have crossed the starter solenoids and the engine cranks. I have checked every fuse i can find and looked at all the conectors to make sure they are not corroded.

Its all getting a little frustrating now as the sea here in the uk is like a pond today and i need to get out there.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

You shouldn't be randomly replacing parts because it usually gets you nowhere and is expensive.
Beepers tend to fail and work intermittently so don't go by that. Starter solenoids are a very common failure. Have you checked that? When you press the start button with the key on you should get a 12v signal to the solenoid to the snap in connector terminals, start there. Also, it needs to be in neutral. Move the gear shift back and forth as sometimes the neutral safety switch can be a little flaky.

I Was told by the jet shed in Sheffield that it was the dess post so it was changed, unfortunately their diagnosis was wrong. i didnt randomly change it.
Correct me if i am wrong but even if the starter solenoid had gone, when the lanyard is put onto the dess post it should bleep first and formost before anything. Im no expert so will go down that route next.
Have moved the shifter back and forward to make sure its in neutral. is there a way of testing the neutral switch?

Well, sounds like you need a new service dealer. As I mentioned, beepers fail and do not consistently work so if you go by beeping you may be in for a long day. If your beeper is 100% working along with everything else, it would beep when the lanyard is put on regardless of whether the solenoid is working. Go by actual testing and it will lead you to the solution very quickly.
Test the solenoid first, takes 2 minutes.
Test the neutral switch like any other switch that opens and closes, disconnect connector and check for resistance to open close when you move the gear shifter. You will have to raise the gear shifter assy up but there is plenty of room to get the connector just below it.

i know it's a few months ago, but I'm having the same issue. except, my boat was running fine until I shut it off in the middle of the lake to wrap up the tube ropes and get the kids in the boat, then when I went to start it, it wouldn't start. I get the two short beeps when I connect the lanyard and the fuel pump engages when I push the button but the starter doesn't spin. so, I got towed back to the dock and tried jumping across the solenoid and I was able to start the engine once, but then I tried it again and I think I killed the starter. I have 12 volts at the starter but no spin. Also- i only got 12v at the starter when i jumped the solenoid- if i used the start button, i only got .18mv at the starter. Is it possible I have a bad solenoid and starter? I'm praying I don't have an issue with the ECM, the ECM is supposed to send a signal to the solenoid when you push the start button, if that signal isn't making it to the solenoid then I won't see 12 volts at the starter. I have a bad feeling in my gut... I ordered a new starter and solenoid and hopefully that will correct the issue. I can't get to my neutral safety switch because the four screw heads are stripped out so I have to drill those out. Once I get access to the neutral safety switch, I'll probably just bypass it for good, one less thing I have to worry about. any update on this thread? did you figure out what's wrong with yours?

Last edited:
update on my issue anyway- I replaced the starter, solenoid & bypassed the NSS- started right up. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back