Correct propeller for a Mercruiser.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

LouDoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm considering upgrading the prop. on my 2000 Bayliner Capri, it's 17.5' and has a Mercruiser 3.0 liter engine. The stock prop. is a Mercaury Marine Black Max 48-832832 A45 which is 14-1/4" diameter, 21 pitch. RH aluminum prop.

I'm looking to upgrade to a stainless steel prop. and I am looking at a Solas HR Titan #1551-145-21, which is pretty much the same specs. as the stock prop. I am satisfied with the performance of the stock propeller, the lie-o-meter (even less accurate than the seadoo speedo) shows around 43-45mph. So my question is do I stay with the same specs. as the stock prop. or since the stainless prop is heavier and more rigid, do I need to change the pitch?

Here's my choices:

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Me...1.00&chart=77&engine_id=437&cart_id=109791531

Lou

I like running aluminum props better than stainless b/c they're lighter and there's less chance of bending the prop shaft if you happen to strike the ground. A sacrificial prop. If you need it shiny maybe you can paint it silver?

There's a max RPM spec you should compare your existing prop against and also ask yourself if you plan on pulling anything with it, I have two props I can switch between if I want to pull like 6 skiers, I use the little one and in fact that's the prop that's on there now but it will over rev easy if I keep it WOT.

Sterndrives are nice b/c you can easily swap props when you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input, after your advice I think I'll just keep the aluminum props., I've actually got three, the stock prop., a stock prop. that's beyond a rebuild, and a 4 blade aluminum. I just installed the 3 blade stock prop. back on and after a few trips I noticed I already have a nick in one of the blades. I get better low end torque with the 4 blade but I can't use the anode with the steering skag so it's a little harder to keep on course in the no wake zones.

It's not so easy for me to change props. I keep the boat on a lift so I either have to use the fishing boat or go get the trailer and pull the boat out of the water. Yes some would call this lazy and they would probably be right.

Again thanks for the advice, you just saved me $300.00.

Lou

Thanks for the input, after your advice I think I'll just keep the aluminum props., I've actually got three, the stock prop., a stock prop. that's beyond a rebuild, and a 4 blade aluminum. I just installed the 3 blade stock prop. back on and after a few trips I noticed I already have a nick in one of the blades. I get better low end torque with the 4 blade but I can't use the anode with the steering skag so it's a little harder to keep on course in the no wake zones.

It's not so easy for me to change props. I keep the boat on a lift so I either have to use the fishing boat or go get the trailer and pull the boat out of the water. Yes some would call this lazy and they would probably be right.

Again thanks for the advice, you just saved me $300.00.

Lou

Yeah, if the water is deep at your lift then I guess it makes it harder. My lake has a lot of shallow spots and I was tearing up too many props even though I know where the sand bars are I still was hitting them. So that particular boat doesn't get used as much as the jets do anymore, I like the flexibility of going where I want.

4-blade props are interesting but I think I prefer the 3-blade jobs even though maybe the hole shot is arguably "better" naturally they cost more to repair. The 3-blade jobs work really well for me.

But take a look at your WOT RPM's and see how they match up, you could maybe even go down and get some more top end if you can't reach redline with that 21 pitch, which sounds about right for that boat, I think that's the one the charts recommend.

Now I remember why I put the little prop back on there, we were loading the boat to max capacity 8 people and it was dog trying to get it up on plane took too long.

Actually I'm pretty happy with the stock prop., the boat is running about 42-43mph on the speedometer (which is not very accurate), and runs out at about 4800-5000rpm., I know that's a little high so I don't usually run it wide open. Besides I have a speed control in the LH seat, whenever I get above 35mph, it goes off "slow down". And yes I think I like the stock prop. better than the 4 blade, we used to do a lot of skiing, wake boarding, tubing, and the 4 blade was better for that, buy not so much anymore.

Lou

Back