Close to purchase

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jshaley

You folks have provided great advice. The '02 Utopia 205 I am looking at passed a mechanical inspection from a certified Mercury shop today. Good compression, good spark, good test drive. My sea trial is scheduled for Thursday and then hitting the road immediately for Labor Day travel (with or without boat). I have not seen it yet (6 hours away) so do not want to get to excited but a few basic questions:

• Mechanic said battery was low, but the boat has been unused this Summer. I am thinking with a little run time it should be okay. Your thoughts?
  • Need to replace MA registration numbers with NY. What is the best way to get the old letters off? Scraper? Acetone? Blow torch? :<)
  • Do people power on/off trailers? With the sail boat I had I would just have a long line, pull the boat off trailer and up to dock. I know powering on is a no-no at some ramps.
  • There is an oil you guys recommend. Quick silver I think?
  • Do polarized sunglasses reduce the "you just had to buy a boat, didn't you" glare from the wife?

Oh, and a funny note. The mechanic is at a mercury shop and more used to stern drives. Said he nearly threw himself out of the boat on the test drive. =<).

John

[*]Do polarized sunglasses reduce the "you just had to buy a boat, didn't you" glare from the wife?
[/LIST]

LOLing!!!

What happens if it's the husband that is saying that to his wife??

Polarized shades don't look good on me:coolgleam:

Congrats!

The only thing with polarized shades on my 01 Utopia 185 is you see the "spots" on the windshield so it makes it a pain in the butt cuz you can't see that well :(

As for the numbers, a heat gun REALLY helps when removing the numbers, just heat it up little by little and you can just peel it off then wipe the residue with acetone.

Good luck!

• Mechanic said battery was low, but the boat has been unused this Summer. I am thinking with a little run time it should be okay. Your thoughts?

I would give it a try. The battery may come back with some run time, but if it still feels weak after the first couple of runs replace it.

• Need to replace MA registration numbers with NY. What is the best way to get the old letters off? Scraper? Acetone? Blow torch? :<)

A heat gun used very carfully, or a hair dryer work great. I look at it this way with the heat gun, If you're burning you fingers, you may burn the gellcoat

• Do people power on/off trailers? With the sail boat I had I would just have a long line, pull the boat off trailer and up to dock. I know powering on is a no-no at some ramps.

I don't like to power on for the simple fact that you are in two feet of water at a high power setting. You run the risk of sucking up everything around you and running it through the pump.

• There is an oil you guys recommend. Quick silver I think?

Yes. Quicksilver premium.

Aaron:cheers:

1. Battery...depend on where you are traveling, you can take it into an Auto Zone or Farm and Fleet. They will test it for you. That way, if you need to, just buy a replacement battery. Makes your holiday better. My buddy, when traveling with his boat, brings enough spare parts and tool to build one!:hurray:

2. Lettering..Ditto on the heat...but I would just say a hair dryer should do the trick. I have seen the heat intensity from a heat gun and there is a difference!:ack:

3. Powering on..depends on the ramp. If it looks like a airport, then you are probably good. The problem is that if too many people power load, then it creates a drop at the end of the concrete ramp. It is a big no no at ramp...like Aaron said.

4. The glare from your wife...dude, flowers goes a long way. I explained to my wife that I was looking for a summer activity that the whole family can enjoy...she then started looking for boats herself..which led me here when she asked if the Utopia was a good boat....funny how the world works..when you manipulate.:reddevil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back