checking/changing pump oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
pull the nozzle assy off, remove the 3-bolts hold'n cone on, and let oil fall out, replacethe cone, and fill it up w/ 75/90 synthetic oil and bolt nozzle assy back on.

Or "youtube" that question, theres a few videos out there.

I haven't taken mine apart yet but I need to change pump oil also. Where is the fill located to refill the cone. Looks like an easy job.

Nose up...

Once you pull the nozzle assembly and cone off, you'll want to raise the nose of the ski to make sure you get a good drain. I actually have a glass beaker I use to catch the oil so I can inspect it for any metal shavings (I drop a magnet in it) and to make sure it's proper color. If the seal went out and water got to it, it'll be a yellowish color. That's what oil looks like thats been aerated with water.

Clean the nose cone off really good before you put it back on. I usually put a thin film of 100% silicone on it for two reasons. It'll help the "0" ring stay in place as I put it on ("0" rings tend to roll out of the groove if it's dry) and it'll give it that little extra seal. Make sure you watch the orientation of your fill plug. Like he said, allen head plug on the upper right hand side of cone.

The pump will hold about 2.5 ounces. I think thats equated to about 70cc's. You can measure it if you like but the bottom line is, you want to fill it up to the bottom of your plug threads. And at this point, I usually have the nose of the ski just a bit lower than level. That way, the oil will move forward into the bearing cavity. After you put the oil in, leave it to settle for a few minutes before putting in the plug, to make sure no more oil has moved past the thrust bearing, into the cavity after filling it. When you plug it, use either blue or black Permatex gasket sealant. I think it calls for Loctite but I don't use it.

Oil? You do not have to buy that expensive Seadoo oil. Any quality brand of GL5 75-90 weight gear oil will do. I prefer to use the Mobil brand.

Good luck, ...........:cheers:

just finished changing mine. Very easy job. Nice to see everything looked kinda clean and correct in there. no cracks or loose bolts. even the wear rings looked ok. For a recently purchased '97 with no background info Im very pleased.
I also noticed that my impellors are stainless steel. Is that factory?
Is it ok to ask that here or should I start a new thread.

Threads...

No, your fine. The topic is on the pump oil....you just happened to mention this. I do believe all impellers are stainless. I might be wrong on that but I've never seen any other type material impeller come through my shop (garage..LOL)

Great to hear your oil and all was in good shape. If this is a recent purchase, now, during the off season, is the time for you to be checking everything. If you'd like to know more, you would need to start another thread.:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back