Check valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

nswillin

Premium Member
Premium Member
I finally pulled my engine today, oh my back. Wasn't as heavy as I thought though. Think I'll have a few and call it a day.

One question though. There is a check valve that goes from the rave valves to the side of the engine. There is a long piece of black hose, then the valve, then a little piece of the same hose. The little piece that goes into the engine had a hole blown through it. And when I took the little piece off and the end that the check valve goes into looks kinda melted at the end, right about where the hole in the hose was over it.

When my piston got blown up, did the exhaust from it just blow this thing out also?

I was thinking a little about this. Would that hole in the hose have caused the hole being burnt in the piston? I posted a few days ago titled "Dead Cyclinder" and I mentioned my oil pump cable breaking. Maybe this was the cause and not the oil cable.

It looks like when the cable lets go of the pump it is full injection.

Any ideas?

I can be wrong as I have never even laid an eye on rave valves except in a photo but I beleive the hose is a vacume hose to cotrol the diaphram on top of the rave valve. I would have thought that the rave valve was not working properly. Was that the same cylinder that had lost compression? Any way I beleive that the hose was a perfomance problem for sure. but the reason for the hose to blow I am not sure of. Maybe it was something you should have inspected on a anual bases. good luck Robin :cheers:

Yeah I would inspect it annually but Ive had it a month. Apparently the previous owner did not. There is a hose that goes from the rave solenoid all the way around the engine to a small check valve and then into the engine. The manual says NOTE: A check valve on the pressure line eliminates
the negative pressure from the crankcase.

I read a post from a different forum of somebody saying they blew their top end from that hose being blown off and not knowing. Also they can get clogged and then blow off.

Just wondering. I would hate to out this beast back together again and not knowing why it blew in the first place. I still don't think it was the oil pump cable.

The line that blew. Is there two of them for the rave valves or do they both use the same line. I am knew to this so I do not know that answer. :cheers:

O I see. Just a little info for you in case you were dying to know.:rofl:

On these engines, the RAVE valves are controlled
by the Multi-Purpose Electronic Module (MPEM).
To open the RAVE valves, the MPEM activates a
solenoid which directs the positive pressure from
engine crankcase to the valves.

To close the RAVE valves, the MPEM deactivates
the solenoid which blocks the crankcase positive
pressure. The RAVE valves are opened to the atmosphere.

So the hose goes from the engine to the solenoid. The solenoid has another hose on it that goes straight and then splits to each valve.

I think what happened to mine was since the mainline was getting no pressure from the crank case b/c ,of the hole, causing my valves to not open at all causing failure to the piston. I dunno for sure. Just wanted to see if anybody agreed with me.:)

Thank you. Like I said it is new to me. I learn somthing new every day. The next time someone ask a semiler question I will be beter informed to answer.:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back