Charging system

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AUJeep

Hey! Been lurking a for a little while now and finally have a question for yall. Does anyone know how many amps a 2013 GTI "alternator"(magneto, stator, whatever it's called on these) can put out? And also how many the ski uses when running?

Thanks!

Hey! Been lurking a for a little while now and finally have a question for yall. Does anyone know how many amps a 2013 GTI "alternator"(magneto, stator, whatever it's called on these) can put out? And also how many the ski uses when running?

Thanks!

Hi AU, welcome to the forum. You need a copy of the shop manual for that ski if you do any of your own work at all it will pay for itself the first time you use it. You can get that here with an upgraded membership and I think you'll find when asking for DIY help the best answers to questions will almost always come with a reference to page and procedure directly out of the manual with hands on input from people having already been into similar problems.

It's more effective to give you an example straight out of similar ski's electrical section I already had hosted, remember you have rectified voltage on the DC side when you see the Magneto specs.

205.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the formula (Watts = Amps * Volts), 360 Watts will be about 28 Amps of current total at 12.8 Volts. A good bit of that is necessary for the engine control system. In some cases heavy loads from oversize accessories can overload, creating voltage sags and cause malfunction.

Based on the formula (Watts = Amps * Volts), 360 Watts will be about 28 Amps of current total at 12.8 Volts. A good bit of that is necessary for the engine control system. In some cases heavy loads from oversize accessories can overload, creating voltage sags and cause malfunction.

Pretty sure his 130 is same as the larger ski I posted for the magneto, I just came in the office I'll grab the manual for his and check.

incredible way to be welcomed to the forum! thanks fellas. you're right waterluvr, I know the manual would pay for itself in 1-2 uses, especially with the per hour cost most dealerships charge. This is very helpful. The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning an install for speakers and while it seems there are plenty of guy who have done this without a problem, it's good to have some hard data other than just "the charging system is fine!" or "no problems here!", etc...

You'll fit right in here, hang out and dig into some of the old threads on audio there are guys with pretty amazing threads mapping out installations and putting the finishing touches on them. Roads more traveled like the 2-stroke PWC section of the forum may have more threads with those types of DIY projects to get some ideas if you're looking for them.

Considering it takes between 10~12 hours to properly recover a reasonably deeply discharged battery back to a fully charged state practically regardless of the capacity of the power source, this question really doesn't have much to do with the capacity of the existing charging system. Regardless, if there's insufficient energy remaining in the battery to crank and fire the engine then you're stuck looking for a jump start.

I think the solution you should consider involves installing a 2nd battery of deep cycle type and perhaps configure your dual battery system with an optional dual battery switch.

I think the solution you should consider involves installing a 2nd battery of deep cycle type and perhaps configure your dual battery system with an optional dual battery switch.

Yeah I've definitely considered that. I ride exclusively on lakes here in TN(so I'm not going to be stuck out at sea or anything like that). So it aside from being annoying and time consuming, a dead battery isn't too terrible. That being said, you're probably correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back