Changing Oil for the First Time!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerOne

OK Ive watched a lot, and now its time to step up and with everyones help keep this amazing boat running. I just got home from the Sea Doo Dealer in my area. I have a 2007 Challenger 1800, I was looking for the XPS10W-40W as per manual. I was told Sea Doo doesnt make it anymore. Now they make 5W-40W, is this OK to use, they had no idea! Then I asked if they do oil changes.... again no!! So Im ready to accept the challenge, Ive watched all the videos online and looking for any pointers on this oil issue and the oil change. Thanks in advance.

I've always used THIS (x2) as it has everything I need for yearly maintenance of my motors (not including the small o-ring for the oil filter cover bolt). Fairly certain this will work on the 2007s, but maybe someone else can confirm.

I've always used THIS (x2) as it has everything I need for yearly maintenance of my motors (not including the small o-ring for the oil filter cover bolt). Fairly certain this will work on the 2007s, but maybe someone else can confirm.

Thanks, I grabbed this yesterday from the local Sea-Doo dealer but put back when the mechanic said he wasn’t sure. I know the difference between 5w-40w and 10w - 40w has to be minimal

Buy a decent oil extractor, it’s worth it to pay a bit more for a good one of those.

100% agree, cheaper ones cause more frustration than they are worth. If you figure in a dealer oil change vs buying your own equipment your still money ahead.

I've been buying the same xps kit (plugs,filter,oil, O-rings) that JPass listed (on line) for years, never had a problem. Agree, getting a good siphon pump makes the job go easier, like anything, the first time takes longer.

100% agree, cheaper ones cause more frustration than they are worth. If you figure in a dealer oil change vs buying your own equipment your still money ahead.
Thanks can you recommend a good pump. I was going to purchase one with the kit on Amazon

Oil Extraction Pump This is the one I have and it works great. There are electric pumps out there as well, but overall I think this will serve you well. As far as 5W-40 vs. 10W-40...... the 5W is slightly less viscous on startup when it's cold, so it makes it easier for the engine to turn when cold. There's really no other difference, so you should be fine. I juts put it in both my engines and will do so again next season when its time to change oil again.

Oil Extraction Pump This is the one I have and it works great. There are electric pumps out there as well, but overall I think this will serve you well. As far as 5W-40 vs. 10W-40...... the 5W is slightly less viscous on startup when it's cold, so it makes it easier for the engine to turn when cold. There's really no other difference, so you should be fine. I juts put it in both my engines and will do so again next season when its time to change oil again.

Thanks for your help!!!

Thanks to everyone for all your help!!! Hopefully I will be able to return the favor sometime!! Thanks again!!

If you have a local Amzoil dealer, they have a marine 10W40. That’s what I’ve been using. Also have a vacuum extractor similar to the one above. Pretty easy oil change.

hey everyone. I'm new to this forum. just wondering if anyone has any extra parts kicking around for speedster 200. (310)
looking for things like ski door latch.... front hood latch ...gauges. ...winshields etc. lookING for a parts boat LOL.
any help or advice would be great.
thanks I advance!!!

Hey All -- getting back to the oil subject -- anyone use anything other than the BRP XPS 4-TEC brand of synthetic oil in their boats (per link in JPass' message above)? Looking at other brands of synthetics on the web, I find a few that seem to have the same lube capabilities for a helluva lot less than the $40USD price tag for that brand! [Full disclosure -- I did buy same oil & extractor myself in a kit at beginning of season, but just wondering about options on the oil]. Also -- thoughts on changing oil EVERY year? This synthetic stuff is good for up to 6500 miles in auto applications -- for those of us in the northern US who may only get out a few weekends over the summer, thoughts on letting it slip to every other year? Seems overkill to me!

Hey All -- getting back to the oil subject -- anyone use anything other than the BRP XPS 4-TEC brand of synthetic oil in their boats (per link in JPass' message above)? Looking at other brands of synthetics on the web, I find a few that seem to have the same lube capabilities for a helluva lot less than the $40USD price tag for that brand! [Full disclosure -- I did buy same oil & extractor myself in a kit at beginning of season, but just wondering about options on the oil]. Also -- thoughts on changing oil EVERY year? This synthetic stuff is good for up to 6500 miles in auto applications -- for those of us in the northern US who may only get out a few weekends over the summer, thoughts on letting it slip to every other year? Seems overkill to me!
Once per year at least. Many say you don't want old, contaminated oil sitting over winter, so change oil after the last ride of the year. That's what i do and it works for me. Been using this stuff for 7 years, along with brp filter.
3accc83c1af69866001948bd13021aed.jpg

Owning a boat isn't cheap. $75 for typical yearly service is nothing. Why go cheap instead of using what works and comes with everything you need?

If it were me I would stick with once a year and use BRP recommend oil. These engines are very expensive to repair, for me it's not worth it to cheap out but to each is own. No matter how you look at it boats are expensive to own as just about any 'toy' can be... The 75 dollars for each service kit I find is rather reasonable considering it's once a season.

I have that same pump. It works really well. My only wish is that it was bigger so that it could hold the oil from both of my engines at the same time. Save the box it comes it. It stores really well.

Buy the SeaDoo Oil Kit with plugs and filter. It is exactly what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back