Changed battery and now IBR errors - going mad!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

davus

Hi Guys,

So yesterday I changed the battery in my 2009 RXT IS. Prior to changing the battery everything was working fine. Obviously as part of changing the battery in these skis, the fuse boxes need to be moved out of the way to allow the battery box to come out.

Now it has a whole bunch of IBR errors.

P1661
U0129
U16A4
U16A5

The battery is fully charged and brand new.
I have tested the CAN HI and LO wires as per the service manual - all ok
I have visually inspected the bottom of the fuse boxes and cannot see any wires dislodged.
I have inspected the starter solenoid and everything seems fine. When the battery is fully charged, the ski starts fine (although when the charge is down a little, all I get is a "click" when I press the starter button - making me think the starter solenoid might be on the way out).
I have tried putting the old battery back in which did not fix the issue.
Oddly enough, this morning I went out after leaving the battery on charge all night, and for the first few minutes, I didn't get the errors, then they came back.

So - im stumped. In really quite frustrated as the kids have been waiting all winter for the weather to warm up and we were finally due to head out boxing day.

Any guidance or help you can provide to helping identify the problem would be much appreciated.

Dave

Attachments

• IBR.PNG
    IBR.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 37
What voltage do you have on the new battery?
I don't fully understand your explanation as a new, fully charged battery, should not lead to a simple click on the starter solenoid.
Check the plugs on the IBR as well, if your cover is not sealing properly, the water runs straight into the IBR. Had similar problem on mine.
A Candoopro is a wise investment, Christmas is close...

09 and 10s are known for iBR units failing. Check connectors at the iBR and buss bar/fuse box for corrosion but more than likely the problem is internal to the iBR. I would say it's just a coincidence that changing the battery timing triggered the errors but they are sensitive to having proper voltage and current supplied. The iBR units tend to fail due to moisture getting into the pcb compartment. The 11 and newer units are more reliable and the replacement for older units is an updated version. I've helped several on here with this replacement but unfortunately is not an inexpensive fix.

09 and 10s are known for iBR units failing. Check connectors at the iBR and buss bar/fuse box for corrosion but more than likely the problem is internal to the iBR. I would say it's just a coincidence that changing the battery timing triggered the errors but they are sensitive to having proper voltage and current supplied. The iBR units tend to fail due to moisture getting into the pcb compartment. The 11 and newer units are more reliable and the replacement for older units is an updated version. I've helped several on here with this replacement but unfortunately is not an inexpensive fix.

Thanks ski-d00. I just can’t get my head past the coincidence part of it. I just feel like it must be a wire or something that’s broken or come loose, but struggling to figure out how to diagnose it.

If I knew for sure the IBR was knackered I would be happy to buy another one and put it in, but I’m reluctant to fork out that amount of cash for something that may not fix the problem!

I’ve tested and checked a bunch of stuff (fuses, bus bar, CAN HI and LO wiring, terminals at the ibr unit itself) and they all check out fine.

I did find a post on another forum where a guy was having the exact same issues as me. He said he fixed the issue by finding a “broken violet wire in the deutsch connector”.

I feel like it’s going to be something like that, but have no idea what the violet wire does, where it is, or what connector he’s talking about!!

Dave

so a bit of an update - and a few questions.

Went outside this morning and put the lanyard in. Pressed the start button to wake the ski up, and no errors at all. Went to operate the IBR using override, but it wouldn't budge. Then - the errors all came flooding back.

I gave the IBR motor 12 volts directly to see fi it would actually move, and it doesn't move at all. Tried reversing polarity, but it just clicks - doesn't move the bucket at all. My assumption is that supplying 12v directly to the IBR motor "Should" result in it moving up or down (depending on polarity.).

So, im starting to think this is all one big coincidence. I now am going to pull the IBR motor out, but im in a spot of bother. I cant lift the bucket to get to the bolts inside. Does anyone have any bright ideas as to how I get the IBR out if the bucket is stuck in the down position?.

Dave

Ok - so this is doing my head in. Im seriously at a loss and don't know where to from here.

So today I took the IBR unit out (which had locked in the down position). I pulled it all apart, freed it up, regreased it and put it back together. Ran 12v directly to the motor and all works fine.

I put it back in the ski and put the lanyard in. Pressed the button to wake the ski up, and no errors!. I thought I was onto the fix. I tested the IBR in override mode and it worked fine. Went up and down no problems.

I pulled the lanyard out and grabbed myself a drink (thinking I was celebrating). I put the lanyard back in (this is about 3 minutes later), and to my despair, the errors are all back.

So - it seems as though if I leave it sit for a while (at least a number of hours) and test it, it works fine on the FIRST attempt only. Any subsequent attempts and I get all the faults.

Any help anyone can lend?. Im really at a loss. The IBR clearly works OK mechanically.

Dave

Download the manual here and follow the procedure. Measure voltage going to the ibr, as per procedure. You say it is mechanically sound so I assume you have not any binding on the gate.

There WAS being on the gate, which I have subsequently fixed.

I have also followed the service manual to test for CAN continuity and bus (hi and lo) voltage.

I’m is at the point that I’m trying to get hold of another wiring harness and ibr to try fix / test with.

Dave

What you describe is exactly how the iBR units fail. They typically will stop working with errors and then may work for a few minutes or an hour after the lanyard is replaced and then stop again with codes. Eventually, they won't work at all. It is not the motors that fail, it is the board as I described above. You can try changing wire harnesses but the 09 and 10s are failure prone. In my experience, more than half of them have already failed and have been replaced so really is a ticking timebomb. It's unfortunate that BRP won't help to replace this known design problem but at least they provided a solution, although it is an expensive one.

thanks ski-d00.

I bit the bullet a few days ago, and bought a second hand IBR unit from a jetski wrecker i know and trust. He tested the unit beforehand, and ive bought many many good quality things from him in the past.

I purchased the later model IBR (twin bolt) and also got the upgraded U bolt to suit the twin bolt IBR.

Sure enough, i put it into the ski and my errors are gone. What a coincidence.

However, i do now have a new (small) issue that i think may be as a result of the IBR replacement. The "lake temp" is reading 199 degrees (celcius - im in Australia).

In reading the workshop manual I have it seems to suggest that the lake temp on this ski is part of the IBR monitoring system, which makes me think it might have something to do with the IBR replacement / upgrade.

I am at work so have yet to have a look in BUDS, but is this a calibration thing do you think?.

Dave

ok - so i think ive figured out WHY the temp sensor isnt working.

On the Gen 1 IBR units, the pump directs water to the IBR unit itself.

"Water from the jet pump passes through the iBR actuator where the sensor measures its temperature, generating a signal that is interpreted by the iBR module. The iBR module then sends the information through the can-buc to the information center that translates it into a temperature indication."

The Gen 2 (two bolt) iBR units do not have this system. Therefore i presume when i changed over the IBR unit, there is no sensor for the module to interpret.

Im going to close this thread off and start a new one asking this question. I see it as being a separate issue.

Dave

There is a gen 2 iBR with the water circuit and has the water temp where everything will work fine. Obviously, the used one you bought is not the right one but it will work, just no water temp reading.

There is a gen 2 iBR with the water circuit and has the water temp where eve....

Hi ski-doo, first thanks for dropping so much knowledge on this topic! I just bought (2) 2009 RXT 255 is and first time out last weekend my check engine light and ibr light went on, reverse and neutral did not work. Each has 35 hours. I found this list you posted awhile back as replacement parts needed to repair.

How difficult is this repair? Any videos your aware of to help me through it? Is this list in your opinion still the items I need? Dealer says the check engine light is on because the iBR issue.

I'm paranoid this will be a problem with both skis so I would like to DIY to curb the pain in case it happens to the other also. Dealer quoted me $1900. Did you also mention you have a connection to discounted parts? Any idea where I could get a used ibr? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190801-165604_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190801-165604_Chrome.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 26
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back