challenger RPM problem!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

masonf24

i took the boat to the lake and was overall impressed being the first time i have ever driven a boat and this is my first boat. i bought this boat 3 weeks ago and one of the engines have been replaced with a brand new one of the same kind. the new engine is the one i have a problem with. both start fine but if i accelerate slowly the new one wants to die right around 2 rpm's. i finally got into the habit of accelerating really fast to 4 rpm's which would work. i watched the gage and it would skip really fast from 2 to 4 rpms. i am just hoping i need to get it tuned but i was wanting some extra info before i take it anywhere. thanks:cheers: i have a 97 seadoo challenger.

i have noticed that the engine that i am having problems with the throttle shaft is really loose compared to the other one. this may have nothing to do with the problem i am having but it is just something else i have noticed!!!

Hi masonf24,
First thing i would do is check compression to rule out motor problems, should be around 145psi and almost even between both cylinders.

If all is good check fuel system filters(dont forget small ones in carbies), I found it quite easy and cheap to put a carbie kit in both $35US each. My boat was doing same thing (stalling at 2000 to 3000rpm) after carby kits all was good.

You could also check rave valves, these normaly effect a bit higher in the rev range, but still easy to check and clean. make sure you seal bellows properly, there is a good thread on raves.

Have you done your stereo yet?

It sound like the accelerator pump isn't working like it should. The accelerator pump adds fuel between 2500 and 3000 RPM's only. To check them pull the carb cover off and the sparkarester. Use a mirror or something to look in the throat of the carbs. Now when you push the throttles forward a small squirt of fuel will get spit into the carbs. If not the lines are full of crap and need to be cleaned.

Karl

i will try them soon and for the stereo i just replaced the two 5.25 speakers with 6.5 infinity speakers and replaced the stereo with a clarion cd player. i wanted to put two more speakers or a woofer but it does sound really good already so i might do it this summer if i get time too. but thanks for all of the things i should check out and i will let you know if they help. thanks:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back