Challenger 2000. Looking at Installing a GPS with transducer, where can I tap +12v for power?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a 2002 Challenger 2000 240EFI Merc engine. Boat is in good overall shape, just needs some TLC and a few odds & ends fixed. The guy just had the upholstery completely re-done right before I bought it. I also had the boat vetted by a marine mechanic who checked compression/jet pump/etc. & he said it's a solid boat. It's a ton of fun! Already took the fam out a couple times & bought a tube to tow with it. This is the first boat I've owned, but I grew up around my dad's boats & I'm fairly proficient at fixing things myself.

I already replaced the sending unit/baffle & now I have a fuel gauge! Next thing I'm looking at doing is installing a Garmin Striker 4 GPS/Fish Finder/Speedo unit. My question is has anyone else installed a similar unit on this boat before? And where did you tap the cables behind the driver's console for +12v and ground? Also installing the transducer makes me a little nervous as I've never drilled through a hull before & want to do it right. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hello,
In the main fuse block between the 2 rows of fuses are clips that you get power from. These are powered by the areas that the fuse blocks are blank. I have a 1800 challenger and mine had open ports. Using a voltage meter test for a dead plug, put the recommended fuse in one of the spare areas and re-test for power. Simple and protected from water.
Mike

Hello,
In the main fuse block between the 2 rows of fuses are clips that you get power from. These are powered by the areas that the fuse blocks are blank. I have a 1800 challenger and mine had open ports. Using a voltage meter test for a dead plug, put the recommended fuse in one of the spare areas and re-test for power. Simple and protected from water.
Mike

Thank you, I was wondering about that myself. What you're referring to are the "spade" looking blank connectors on the fuse box where there are no fuses installed right? Are the connectors parallel to their respective fuse sockets? Where would I ground?

Are you planning on a transom mount transducer?

Be careful and use extreme care picking a spot to mount the transducer. I have snapped off 4 different models from my Chall. 2000. These snapped off without any evidence of ever striking any solid object. Just playing around doing spins and 180s. The reverse jet blast seems to blast them off. Our boats have an unusual transom design that complicates things somewhat.

Supplying power is just as described above. Just put in the fuse spec'd in instructions.

Are you planning on a transom mount transducer?

Be careful and use extreme care picking a spot to mount the transducer. I have snapped off 4 different models from my Chall. 2000. These snapped off without any evidence of ever striking any solid object. Just playing around doing spins and 180s. The reverse jet blast seems to blast them off. Our boats have an unusual transom design that complicates things somewhat.

Supplying power is just as described above. Just put in the fuse spec'd in instructions.

Yes, I'm using a transom mount transducer. I was thinking about mounting it near the OEM speedo sensor and using the same hole to pass the wire through.

Thank you, I was wondering about that myself. What you're referring to are the "spade" looking blank connectors on the fuse box where there are no fuses installed right? Are the connectors parallel to their respective fuse sockets? Where would I ground?

Yes. The spade looking connectors are what I was referring to. The relation of the fuses to the open spade connectors is close but your best way to confirm would be with a voltage meter or a power probe, test before, put in a fuse, and then verify power. Everything on the dash has a ground connected to it. I would splice off of the cigarette lighter if you have one on the dash.

Yes, I'm using a transom mount transducer. I was thinking about mounting it near the OEM speedo sensor and using the same hole to pass the wire through.

Don't forget-
You are not just passing the wire thru a hole. Almost always, you have to pass the plug, too. Needing a larger hole.

Don't forget-
You are not just passing the wire thru a hole. Almost always, you have to pass the plug, too. Needing a larger hole.

Well, I installed the transducer! Everything looks great. I attached pics. Basically I drilled pilot holes for the screws, then coated the threads of the mounting screws in 3M 5200 Marine Sealant & installed the bracket. Those should seal fine. What I'm worried about is the 1/4" hole I had to drill to pass the transducer plug/wire through. I thoroughly sealed the hole/area with the same 3M sealant and it "seems" solid, but I fear it's not strong enough to keep water out long term. I'm thinking of adding some quick-steel (dries hard) around the wire/hole to add structural support. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20190718_160452.jpg
    20190718_160452.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 20190718_160458.jpg
    20190718_160458.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
Well, I installed the transducer! Everything looks great. I attached pics. Basically I drilled pilot holes for the screws, then coated the threads of the mounting screws in 3M 5200 Marine Sealant & installed the bracket. Those should seal fine. What I'm worried about is the 1/4" hole I had to drill to pass the transducer plug/wire through. I thoroughly sealed the hole/area with the same 3M sealant and it "seems" solid, but I fear it's not strong enough to keep water out long term. I'm thinking of adding some quick-steel (dries hard) around the wire/hole to add structural support. What do you guys think?

I am always concerned about using any kind of product labeled "steel" on a boat that may go into salt water. Some of these products actual do contain steel. Your thru-hull seal looks good. 5200 is some tough stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back