Challenger 1800-240hp Won't Start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kolin

Hi, I have a 2004 Challenger 1800 with the Mercury 240hp engine in it. Bought it used. Last owner said it was running well last summer. But I can't get it to start It has a full tank of gas and I have trouble-shooted the kill switch wiring and it is working correctly (no shorts to ground). There is the normal solid beep sound and short clicking noise from the engine (not sure what exactly) when I turn the key but don't engage the starter. When I fully turn the key and engage the starter, the engine turns over strongly and sounds good - but won't start. I am thinking I will take a plug and see if there are any spark on it when I turn the engine over. I am thinking maybe its not getting spark to the spark plugs or not getting fuel (fuel pump?) or something else is keeping it in similar mode as having the kill switch engaged.
Anyone have any other or better suggestions? I have the 16 ft version of the boat with the same engine so I am pretty familiar with it but scratching my head right now...
thanks!

Start with the spark check. If it has spark check the fuel pressure. There is a Schrader valve on top of the VST, you can use a tire pressure gauge. 34 to 36psi is the target there

Yes, no. 1 to check VST electronic fuel pump pressure, usually it is a big problem for a boat that was not started for a while, check also other fuel pump. As soon as you turn on the key prior to starting make sure you hear that clicking sound from the fuel pump. Check the cylinder PSI all six of them with WOT. Check your oil and water separator filter and if everything is well, we're hoping not the ECU. Hopefully just the starter or other stuff that is more cheaper to repair.

Thanks for the replies - glad I was headed in the right direction. The details helped! Went out last night turned over the engine, would not start. Same thing. Beep was there and the clicking from the fuel pump.
I removed the middle plug on the port side completely. It was not unreasonably fouled and a bit wet from fuel.

With the plug out (in my hand) I turned one the engine and it started. Shut it off, put the plug back in and it still started. Not sure logically why it would suddenly start or what if anything taking the plug out would do....Launched the boat and took her out for a spin.

Engine was/is running really rough but running! I saw a huge improvement after running the boat for a boat 15min. In the first 5min I could not go more than 5mph but after 10-15min, it up to around 17mph (max for now) so something is still wrong but maybe just fouled from sitting for a long time. My other jet boat with the same engine sits for 6 months (Nov-April) and does no run that rough in the spring but I condition the gas and fog the engine. This challenger may have sat for a year with no conditioning.

I will run it some more this week. See if it gets better. Will condition the gas, change all the plugs and see about a pressure test to make sure all the cylinders are firing strong.

Any other basic things I might do?
Any other suggestions I can check if the engine continues to run rough?

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for the replies - glad I was headed in the right direction. The details helped! Went out last night turned over the engine, would not start. Same thing. Beep was there and the clicking from the fuel pump.
I removed the middle plug on the port side completely. It was not unreasonably fouled and a bit wet from fuel.

With the plug out (in my hand) I turned one the engine and it started. Shut it off, put the plug back in and it still started. Not sure logically why it would suddenly start or what if anything taking the plug out would do....Launched the boat and took her out for a spin.

Engine was/is running really rough but running! I saw a huge improvement after running the boat for a boat 15min. In the first 5min I could not go more than 5mph but after 10-15min, it up to around 17mph (max for now) so something is still wrong but maybe just fouled from sitting for a long time. My other jet boat with the same engine sits for 6 months (Nov-April) and does no run that rough in the spring but I condition the gas and fog the engine. This challenger may have sat for a year with no conditioning.

I will run it some more this week. See if it gets better. Will condition the gas, change all the plugs and see about a pressure test to make sure all the cylinders are firing strong.

Any other basic things I might do?
Any other suggestions I can check if the engine continues to run rough?

Thanks again for your help!

STOP running it until you confirm all injectors are working. You are in danger of piston meltdown.

16 years have they ever been checked on a flow bench?
If you confirm 6 plugs firing you have injector issues. Check the connector starboard, down low. Round, 4 pins.
Keyed for reassembly. No green corrosion allowed.

Hi, its been 6 weeks now of using the boat. It's starting regularly and running well now. It only didn't start one time again about 5 weeks ago and I did the same thing. Removed a plug and it started. Put the plug back (with the engine off of course) and no issues. Seemed like a timing issue of some kind. I really don't know how long the boat was sitting or how old that gas was. I am guessing 12-24months. All new gas now and it seems to be running well. I think the carbs and injectors just needed some use/cleaning. I check the injector plug that was recommended and it was clean too. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. So far so good! I will have the engine checked over and tuned this fall!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back