Cavitation?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared

Hi I am new to this forum. I own a 98 sportster 1800 and the left motor will not go. It idles fine but when reved up it soun ds like rev limiter kicks in and will not accelerate. The weird thing is that the right engine works fine and I still can get up to 40ish MPH. I assume the left motor is assisting it but am not sure. I have checked the intakes and the are clear, however, the are both missing the shield thingy that is supposed to be around the shafts. What could be wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Hello!

Hello and welcome to the Seadoo forum Jarod!
You don't give a lot of detail into your problem, so lets just start with a couple questions and see what we can find out.
Have you done a compression test on the port (left) engine? If so, what were the results?
We know your starboard (right) engine runs good, so you've stated. Let's just start the port engine, on land, hooked up to your water hose. With the gear in forward, goose the throttle (goose=bounce the throttle full and idle real fast). What is your response like. Notice the rpm's, what did you see on the rpm gage?
Pull your plugs, what do they look like. A rev limiter works by limiting power to a cylinder plug. Are the plugs oily, white or what? I'm wondering if you got a bad plug or a carb that isn't working properly.
The shaft guard on the engines are there for your protection, they won't hurt the engines if there missing.
Let me know what you come up with. Your neutral switch will keep you from going over 3000 rpms but if your starboard engine is running good, then that can't be the problem................Check the plugs and compression, get back with us, we'll go from there!.........

:agree: I agree with Seadoosnipe, to add something when you running it on the hose and you put it in forward and bounce the gas to see where the rpms go notice if it only revs to 3,000- 3500 rpm's. I had a problem with a sticky netural switch and wouldn't allow the engine in my 1997 Challenger with a single 787, to rev past this point.

A key note to remember, if you run it in the water and only 1 motor is working properly, the intake of water to cool the engine will force it's way into the non-running engine, at speeds above 15 mph (as memory serves me), and fill the engine with water from the pressure. This could cause damage to the engine. To prevent this you have pinch off the cooling line from the impeller housing tunnel. Keep us posted.
Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back