carbon ring

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP JIM

I'm replacing the carbon ring on my 96 XP and I had a devil of a time getting the pump off. Seems like someone must have used 3M 5200 or some other really aggressive caulk on the top where the hoses go thru the hull. I tried cutting the caulk with a razor blade held by a vise grip but there wasn't enough room. Anyway how I got it off was to remove the pump extension and I made two pullers out of some scrap 2x4s, got some M8x125 threaded rod, screwed them into where the pump extension bolts onto the pump and placed the 2x4s against the transom, used large fender washers and nuts and slowly tightened everything up until the pump finally broke the bond of the caulk. I do have a question concerning the front seal which attaches to the flywheel. I know that it has a special oetiker type clamp on it and that the direction of that clamp is critical. I was just wondering if I could just use a regular hose clamp as I don't have the correct tool to tighten this clamp? I hope this tip helps someone else. Thanks

So you only need to remove the rear clamp on the PTO rubber boot to get the driveshaft out.
If you removed it without damaging it you can get the clamp back on with needle nose pliers but it takes a little patience.

Worst case use a high quality ziptie.

Thanks Miki. I assume the reason you can't use a hose clamp is because the weight of the clamp spinning would create a vibration? I started looking at the parts to put this back together and I may have a wrong part. The carbon ring I got has a 1.065" hole where the shaft is only .875". Shouldn't this fit snuggly and almost match the diameter of the shaft? Thanks

No, the shaft floats inside it. The carbon ring should in no way ever touch the shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back