Carbon ring spitting water and cavitating

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delmed03

Hello all, I am looking for help on a 97 GTX. I noticed my carbon ring was leaking water at high speeds so I replaced it along with the tophat. Both rubber bumpers are properly installed on the driveshaft, and the PTO has been pumped with fresh grease. The bellows is new as well and is providing adequate pressure on the carbon ring. I even tried the zip tie trick. Everything seems good and tight and there is not any forward/aft free play in the driveshaft. I will say that one of the rubber bumpers was slightly torn, but still appeared that it would function properly. (Waiting on a new one in the mail). I took it for a test drive today and it is still spitting water when I accelerate very fast. It does not do it at continuous low speeds or high speeds, only when I quickly accelerate. It is not just a little water either. It quickly accumulates.

Could a partially torn bumper be causing this? What else could it be? Only thing that I can think of is misalignment. Everything appears to be aligned, however. Open for suggestions.

Thank you.

Thanks guys. Bumpers came in today. Hopefully I’ll find the time to throw them on tomorrow. If that doesn’t solve it, I’ll be checking alignment.

In addition to the other suggestions I think I would also check the engine mounts. Because it seems that it’s only happening while under load.

I believe bent driveshaft to be the culprit. I don’t have a dial indicator set, but I’d say that if it’s got a little wobble to it when it roll across the table, then it’s probably bent lol

I believe bent driveshaft to be the culprit. I don’t have a dial indicator set, but I’d say that if it’s got a little wobble to it when it roll across the table, then it’s probably bent lol

I chased this issue for a while on my 97' GTX, it was a bent driveshaft. I found a used one on ebay fairly cheap, just make sure to ask before buying if it's straight. You can tell when you roll it on a flat surface. Even after asking first, the seller still sent me one just as bent, but he did make good on it.

I chased this issue for a while on my 97' GTX, it was a bent driveshaft. I found a used one on ebay fairly cheap, just make sure to ask before buying if it's straight. You can tell when you roll it on a flat surface. Even after asking first, the seller still sent me one just as bent, but he did make good on it.

I usually roll them on a piece of glass that I save for just this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back