Carb/Throttle cable issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

air9

Looking for some help here. Took the carbs off my 96 gsx (787) to clean out the filters hoping to fix a surging issue i was having last season. Found one of them to be dirty. Cleaned everything and re-installed.

Now the problem I'm having is when i tighten the top bolt on the front carb bolt down, the throttle cable sticks and won't retract fully. 1/4 turn off the bolt and the throttle cable operates freely. Throttle cable and oil cable all seem fine. I'm thinking something is causing the carb to twist or tweak slightly when tightened down. Didn't i pinch the gasket between carb and intake? This problem didn't happen before carbs were removed.

I had to stop for the night as it was late and i was getting tired. Didn't want to make any silly mistakes. Am i missing something simple here. Any options or suggestions would be helpfully.

Thanks.

The butterfly's in carbs rotate on a shaft that on these mikuni carbs comes out on opposite side of carb. Check to make sure the fuel lines or fuel line clamps are not rubbing the portion of carbs that rotate.
Use plenty of light to check.

Good info... The inlet fuel ckamp, if too high on the fitting, can create restriction on the throttle arm. Also, if base gasket rolled up into the carb, can also do what your describing. Check the jam nut/s on throttle cable. Maybe you got set too much....

So an update. I want to thank mano and diesel for there suggestions.

Checked all the fuel lines and clamps to make sure nothing was rubbing. Inlet fuel clamp was a bit high and was touching the cable bracket. I adjusted the clamp but same result.

I removed the rear carb, and with the front carb still bolted down the same thing happens. 1/4 turn off that top front carb bolt and the throttle cable snaps itself back into place.

Checked the nuts on the throttle cable and all seem fine. Adjustments didn't change anything.

I'm going to make some new base carb gaskets to see if that helps at all.

The butterfly's in carbs rotate on a shaft that on these mikuni carbs comes out on opposite side of carb. Check to make sure the fuel lines or fuel line clamps are not rubbing the portion of carbs that rotate.
Use plenty of light to check.
This dude right here, nailed it. You know your stuff. This was exactly the problem. I somehow missed this the 2 dozen times or so I had the carbs off. Finally caught it out of the corner of my eye in the right light and sure enough, one of the clamps from the new fuel lines was restricting the shaft the butterfly rotates on when the carb was tightened down.

Such a simple mistake cost me several hours. Anyways, another learning experience. New battery and hopefully splash it this weekend.

Thanks again. [emoji106]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back