carb swap with different model

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaP

Hi everyone,
Do you think it is wise to replace my Bn40 dual carb
set with a set of a different model? It is much cheaper,
and since depending on the time of the year, it could be
different anyway. Is there something else different with
the different carb set-up?
I have the 1996/97 787 challenger that has the accellerator pump on the pto side.
Thanks for your help as always,
LindaP

Specs?

Linda, I know there are some Modders out there who have pumped up their engines by changing carbs. I know one type they've gone to is the "buckshot" carbs.
I would think that if the bore and jetting are the same, then I don't see why not. You can look into the mikuni web site and get more info on your carbs.

Hey Linda, I'm in the same boat...no pun intended. I own a 1997 Challanger w/ 787 motor model# 5603. My Mag. carb. has a nearly frozen throttle valve shaft assy. I removed the screws and tried to free it up with no avail. I have been looking everywhere to find a replacement carb for my boat. Yeks these things arn't cheap...like $400.00+ retail each! I have called and e-mailed lots of contacts for options, for replacement or total rebuild swaps. As soon as I hear anything I'll let you know how I made out.
Karl

Hi Karl, I checked a lot of web sites and found a PTO carb just like mine
for $160. it is supposed to be brand new. I was very lucky.
You might check Ebay if you can, they do have a few carbs.
LindaP

Linda thanks for the advice....I check E-bay almost 4 x a day for all seadoo parts and equipment. I wound up pulling my Mag. carb. throttle shaft and valve out and cleaning out the teflon bushings and reassembling the carb.( little trick from louis,seadoosnipe) Now it works like a charm. I am still looking for a set of carbs. it is just a matter of time I guess. Check out this post:http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=1062

It's always something...lol
Karl

Sticking Throttle Shafts

Hi'
The throttle shaft bushings can be purchased from a company called
HOT PRODUCTS. You can buy the plate screws from Sea Doo. CAUTION: be sure to grind off the protruding threads on the back side of the throttle plate before you try to remove plate screws.These threads are peened over from the factory and failure to do this will probably ruin the plate shaft.I use a Dremmel. Always use loctite when installing new screws.
Hope this helps,

DAWG

Hey Dawg, been there, done that, with the screws. I'll try Hot products for the Mikuni bushings. I tried E-mailing our local Mikuni dist. on the east coast and I got no reply back. I have a business account with Hot products, but didn't relize they would have bushings. Thanks for the tip. The screws I got from a local supplier of metric screws, and I always use loktite and Peined the last thread of the new screws to prevent them form loosening up.
Chow, Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back