Carb Confusion

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP - locked up tighter than a nun's... pocketbook.

Since the rebuild I have been putting oil in the gas (break in), but as time wore on I started weening it off adding "extra" oil.

What went wrong? My theory is that the oil pump was not working properly and the symptoms that I thought were a carb in need of adjustment was really my motor slowly destroying itself from a lack of oil.

Would cutting out after 100' of WOT then starting up again be a likely symptom if it was not getting enough oil?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that can still be fuel causing your issue, an air leak, or fuel pump not delivering enough fuel. Usually when you don't have enough oil you just drop a cylinder and loose compression I never like seized up an engine. If you don't have enough gas the engine over heats also causing to seize. I mean unless you see the oil go down in the tank I wouldn't stop putting oil in the gas. I usually mark that tank with painters tape and drive around until I can physically see the oil going down. That is what I did in my boat when I changed all the lines but when you have 2 engines pulling from one tank it is easier to tell. Did you see the oil going through the small lines when you pulled the lever all the way forward after the rebuild?

Yes there was oil in the small tubes, and there was oil in the intake when I took the carbs off to rebuild them. The pulgs alswys looked a bit wet and it was acting like it was flooding a bit at start up, but notl real bad.

All of this is mostly moot now. I'm throwing in the towel. It will be on CL for someone that wants a spare 587 with lots of good parts and possibly a bad "whatever caused the lock up". I suppose it could be the jet but it looked to be in great shape when I changed the oil.

you might of just had an air leak in the engine. It's 20 years old if that engine hasn't been rebuilt yet. You will be able to sell off some of the parts for money.

If you had a new rebuild is it still covered under warranty? Most places will still fix the engine even if it is the oil pumps issue.

If you had a new rebuild is it still covered under warranty? Most places will still fix the engine even if it is the oil pumps issue.

Unfortunately not. I had it rebuilt 2 years ago and then about one tank into the break-in and with enough time to realize the carb needed a rebuild, some family issues came up. It sat the rest of the warranty period until I finally decided to tackle it again. Ya snooze, ya lose :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back