Carb / cable adjustments - little advise needed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ckrawiec

OK, so yesterday afternoon 4:00pm, I finally got the carbs installed on the '96 GTX...its been a long time a comin'.....anyway, I got everything re-installed (less spark arrestor, etc). Battery is good, compression is within 2 to 3 psi between cylinders, put a little squirt of MMO down the spark holes and cranked a few times - she has been sitting all winter/covered). Gas was pre-treated for winter storage. Beeper was fixed. RAVES were cleaned up (they were gunked up pretty good), RAVE diaphrams were both checked - found the PTO side RAVE diaphram was not sealed on the bottom (broken zip tie - somebody was obviously in there before my time), new gaskets....Pressed the START button once, no key installed, the guages responded...good sign.

I squirted a little 40:1 mix into the carbs just to get a little kick start.....I pressed and held the Start button and she cranked over nicely but would not start....kept trying (waiting 10 seconds between re-starts).....sounds like she wants to catch ALMOST...but not quite there yet (little bit of smoke out the back end). 5th try......pressed the Start button AND very lightly pressed the accelerator....she roared to life and would stay running SO LONG AS I LIGHTLY held the throttle. She also REVS strongly (good throttle response)...I only ran her a few seconds though...as this was just TESTING, so to speak. I'm approaching HAPPY again!

So, I'm thinking a little throttle cable adjustment is required at the carbs to keep the throttle plates open just a touch?? Am I on the right track? OH, so close!

I can also see that the throttle pressure is also pulling the oil pump lever so that appears to be OK.

Remind me: 4500 rpm on the trailer (at idle on the hose) / 3000 rpm in the water (at idle)...once I can get her to IDLE that is.....is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

OK, so yesterday afternoon 4:00pm, I finally got the carbs installed on the '96 GTX...its been a long time a comin'.....anyway, I got everything re-installed (less spark arrestor, etc). Battery is good, compression is within 2 to 3 psi between cylinders, put a little squirt of MMO down the spark holes and cranked a few times - she has been sitting all winter/covered). Gas was pre-treated for winter storage. Beeper was fixed. RAVES were cleaned up (they were gunked up pretty good), RAVE diaphrams were both checked - found the PTO side RAVE diaphram was not sealed on the bottom (broken zip tie - somebody was obviously in there before my time), new gaskets....Pressed the START button once, no key installed, the guages responded...good sign.

I squirted a little 40:1 mix into the carbs just to get a little kick start.....I pressed and held the Start button and she cranked over nicely but would not start....kept trying (waiting 10 seconds between re-starts).....sounds like she wants to catch ALMOST...but not quite there yet (little bit of smoke out the back end). 5th try......pressed the Start button AND very lightly pressed the accelerator....she roared to life and would stay running SO LONG AS I LIGHTLY held the throttle. She also REVS strongly (good throttle response)...I only ran her a few seconds though...as this was just TESTING, so to speak. I'm approaching HAPPY again!

So, I'm thinking a little throttle cable adjustment is required at the carbs to keep the throttle plates open just a touch?? Am I on the right track? OH, so close!

I can also see that the throttle pressure is also pulling the oil pump lever so that appears to be OK.

Remind me: 4500 rpm on the trailer (at idle on the hose) / 3000 rpm in the water (at idle)...once I can get her to IDLE that is.....is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.
3000 on trailer 1500 on water

Yes, you want about 3000 on the trailer and 1500 in the water. You want the ski to idle at no faster than a slow walk when it’s on the water.

You need to adjust the idle screw, DO NOT tighten the throttle cable to increase the idle.

3000 rpm on the trailer / 1500 on the water....thanks....I knew there was a 1500 rpm difference in there somewhere.

ADJUST the IDLE SCREW....NOT the cable....got it. So the throttle plates should be fully closed on the cable and the idle screw is used to "press" the butterfly plates open a touch as needed to get to a START/ IDLING state.

OK, info is much appreciated! Thanks guys.

No, the throttle lever at the bars should have 2mm of play in it all the time to make sure the cable is not holding the butterfly open.

The idle screw is what holds the butterfly open to set the idle speed. Also you have to check the oil pump adjustment whenever you touch the idle screw.

No, the throttle lever at the bars should have 2mm of play in it all the time to make sure the cable is not holding the butterfly open.

The idle screw is what holds the butterfly open to set the idle speed. Also you have to check the oil pump adjustment whenever you touch the idle screw.
OK, Thanks....I comprende now....I see said the blind man....see, this is why I ask questions.....the wisdom of the forum always comes through :thumbs-up:

What worked for me on my 2 787 ski builds. Throttle plates synced completely closed, then just as idle screw touches go two full turns in. Then adjust the cable for the slight slack called for and recheck for fully open with throttle pegged. When you start it should hold idle and might need a tweak 1/4 turn either way. 3000 on the trailer, 1500 on the water.

What worked for me on my 2 787 ski builds. Throttle plates synced completely closed, then just as idle screw touches go two full turns in. Then adjust the cable for the slight slack called for and recheck for fully open with throttle pegged. When you start it should hold idle and might need a tweak 1/4 turn either way. 3000 on the trailer, 1500 on the water.
Thank you....simple basic description...got it.
Can't wait to get in there again....stupid weather, cold front came in last night......24 degrees this morning......brrr!
I also cracked open the Service Manual and read through that as well, so I think I'm good. I understand what to do.....OH, so close I can taste it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back