Carb Adjustments on my 1996 GTS

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothsahn

I have a 1996 GTS (587 single carb) and I just rebuilt the carb and replaced the fuel lines. It went well. Pop off pressure was measured at a consistent 27 psi and I used genuine Mikuni parts. The high speed adjuster is set full closed as specified here: Sea Doo PWC Carburetor Reference

I read the carb adjustment post here: Carburetor Adjustments

I brought it to the lake and adjusted the carb settings. If I get the smoothest idle, I have to turn the low speed adjuster in quite a bit. If I do this, the seadoo hesitates and quits when I give it any gas. I then adjusted the carb out to make the mixture richer, and I can eventually get it to the point where there's no idle hesitation. If I continue making the mixture richer, then it seems to load up, where it takes a sec or so to clear out before it accelerates hard.

I also noticed that the low speed adjuster seems improve WOT performance as I make it more lean. If I make it any richer, the sea doo runs worse at full throttle. If I make it leaner, WOT performance gets better and better, but then I have hesitation if I give it throttle quickly from idle.

I have a few questions:
1) Is it normal that leaning out the low speed adjuster improves high speed performance?
2) I've got a set of settings that make me quite happy (no hesitation or loading up, but good WOT performance). I'm using all stock parts. Is there any chance that I could be causing detonation or somehow damaging the engine? I saw some instructions about pulling the spark plugs and checking color. Is that necessary? Am I good to just enjoy the ski? It runs better than ever, but I don't want to break it.

Yes, it’s normal to get better performance as you lean it out, but there’s a very fine line between performance and reliability. Two-strokes run at their absolute best right before they melt pistons. I highly recommend putting all of your adjustments at the stock settings and leaving them there. The ski should run just about perfect at those settings with no risk of melting it down. If it’s not running right at those settings, you’ve got something going on with the fuel system and need to go back over your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back