Can't winterize, hose port blocked

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. While trying to add RV antifreeze to my GTI with a section of hose and a funnel, just like I've done for the last couple years, nothing happens. Antifreeze stays in the funnel and hose, doesn't travel into the water box at all. The length of the hose is about 5 ft and I'm holding it at least that high above the ski. This exact method has worked for me for years and was flawless on my GTR.

I pushed (gently) a wire coat hanfe into the hose and found no significant resistance. I even tried pushing clean water from a spigot (with the engine running) but no water traveled through. What would cause this? I'm starting to worry since overnight temperatures are predicted to be in the teens within a few days and I need to get this ski protected.

Don't know about the hose blockage, but you can put a lamp with a 60 watt bulb (old fashioned type,
not LED) down near the water box, to keep it from freezing up.

I did the same two months ago and I can tell you that very little liquid goes down by gravity compared to my older 2-stroke GTI (I also was surprised). My service manual mentions blowing some air at 55 PSI rather than using RV antifreeze. Service manual also says that these exhausts are "self draining". Only the intercooler and the manifold retain some water (on supercharged models). I believe your skis are not supercharged so if you were to get a bit of RV liquid in there yous should be fine. If you are worried, make yourself an adapter and shoot 55 PSI air in it. I didn't myself because I saw a few drops of RV liquids pass through the exhaust and my skis stays in a heated garage all winter.

I do plan on trying the air pressure method. However, the past couple of years (and on my GTR) when I've gravity fed RV antifreeze it took the whole gallon with a considerable amount of that pouring out of the impeller intake. Additionally, when I connected a water hose from the pressurized spigot, nothing got through. There has got to be something blocking it. I'll probably disconnect the hose on the engine side and see if I can find the issue there.

99% of the time it has been in fresh water. It's never been in pure saltwater unless the intercoastal waterway is saltwater. Even so, that was in April 2018 and I flushed it pretty good then.

If no water travels through the flush port using the hose under standard home hose pressure then you have a blockage. Have seen mud daubers do this manyl times and am impressed how well they can seal up a hose. When you use the flush port you are actually flushing the backwards direction of normal flow and the inlet for the flush port is actually an exit with very little flow under normal use in the water so even with a blockage in that final hose it won't affect normal operation on the water. Just work backwards until you find the blockage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back