Can I salvage this piston?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

travial

Hey guys,

Any Chance of salvaging this piston? I was thinking of filling in the missing metal with JB weld and then finishing it off with a light sanding...

Attachments

• 20190227_022557925_iOS.jpg
    20190227_022557925_iOS.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 85
I think you will make more horsepower by just replacing the entire piston and rings with a solid slug made from either JB weld or Epoxy Putty.

AKnarrowback, here’s the problem: Too much horse power. I’d hit the throttle and the grips would literally shoot out of my hands and I would somersault backwards off the jet ski. Just looking to fix this excess horse power issue, but I think once all the piston cavities are filled in, and the rings are JB welded back on it will fix the problem.

Filling in the cavities is going to raise the compression and get you more power, in theory.

I try to use a mix of silly putty with a handful of aluminum powder mixed in. It gives me the proper ratio at lower rpm's but compresses at higher rpm's giving me a variable compression system. The best of both worlds without the mess and headache of exhaust valves. I'm toying around with an ether fogging system, it involves a roll of duct tape, 12v solenoids, body armor, good medical insurance and a guaranteed 2 million views on you tube.

Er...... Scratch that last idea.... The wife said no..........

I'm making progress, thanks to everyone who's chimed in, it's been very helpful. I took heed of Aknarrowback's tip, and while I was fresh out of silly putty, plumbers putty seems to have done the trick to fill in all those gouges:

20190312_202311185_iOS.jpg
Here it is almost finished with the application process. I used green masking tape to hold the broken rings back together, I think it'll allow for proper expansion, and maybe provide some better sealing for extra compression. I'm a little worried about the tape scoring the cylinder walls, but sometimes you just gotta gamble, right?

The engine has 2 Cylinders & Pistons. Just leave it out and use the other one that's still in the engine. Most Seadoo Engines have 2 cylinder models so you when this happens you have a back up.....won't go as fast but hey.....in fact I would leave the head off, it will keep the engine cooler for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back