RESTO Building 92 Xp for kids (any thoughts)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach123

Hi guys

I will start with the 92 xp white engine and post a diff thread for the 98 gti.

So here goes, I bought this unit dirt cheap and it has been sitting for last 10 yrs and was a mess inside hull as there was oil everywhere. So I started dismantling things apart and making notes and washing parts and putting labels on as I'm not new to rota X engines but I am to seadoos. So I did a compression test befor I took apart, it was 25psi on mag side and 135 pto side. So I took apart and found no broken piston or hole it was in good shape but head had a bunch of of little pits on mag side, the cylinder was good shape but had a single line down the wall. Could see it but not feel it with finger nail. I have it at engine builder to see if he can hone it out. All I can see is if a piece of piston ring broke off and that is what caused this. I also have not taken crank out of the cases and don't know if I should or shouldn't , the case are full of oil. The rotory valve looks good. What should I be looking for or things to look at. I did take pics but with phone and not sure yet how to post pics from that. So I will bring tablet and take pics and post it here, any info or thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance

If the cases were full of oil your crank seals are bad. You have to replace the crank with a rebuilt one since you cant get to the inner crank seals.

If I were putting my kids on it I would do a full rebuild including the crank just for peace of mind. The last thing you want is them getting stranded out on the water.

Thanks for the reply, I will pull the lower cases apart then as they are half full of oil and start looking for parts, I got call back from guy that had my jugs and was able to hone them out to .5 over stock size of 76. The other thing is I think I want to rebuild both units carb. So where are known places to search/buy kits and parts for these. I also want to replace all fuel and oil lines, I want to use oil injection but thoughts on going mix. Thx

Looking good so far!

Like mikid said...if the Case was full of oil. Then the seals are bad and that crank needs a full rebuild. because you wouldn't want to strand the kiddies out on the water somewhere. They can't just get off and walk back to the beach.

Premix or oil injection is a personal choice. I like premix since I've done it since I was a kid riding dirt bikes & later on in atv's . But it can be dirty and you get "gas hands" a lot of the times. I also like the convenience of the injection system and lower amount of oil that is used. Just change the oil injection lines for peace of mind! So again. A personal choice of going premix or injection.

OSDparts.com will have a lot of the parts you will need.

They are also on eBay.

Keep up the good work!

11.png

Tried to load other pics and says failed. So I hear there are more then 1 way oil can get into case. So should I change all seals also in rotory shaft. What would be a couple of the tools that can get handy to use as I have 2 units getting done. Thx again guys

Yes. Change all the seals. The crank should get a complete rebuild. So all seals and bearings will be changed out and indexed by the Shop for correct spacing to fit in the Case.

There's a rubber seal on the rotary valve shaft and also change the bearing there too. Inspect for shaft deflection and run out or just send out the RV shaft along with the crank to be rebuilt.

I sent my '96 GSX crank, counterbalance shaft & RV Shaft to a shop in Orange, Ca. that does very good work since I do not do that type of work nor do I have the spacers etc. to correctly perform the work.

I use the special factory tools to make the job easy as opposed to using some of the conventional tools and then having to "fight" or "fuss" with trying to remove/install the component.

If you download the Shop manual. It has all the special and recommended tools you need along with a picture of them to disassemble & reassemble the motor along with which greases, sealers etc. to do a good reassembly job on the motor.

Omg cliff
Now I gotta go on a tool shopping spree
I will also get a few hose pinchersimage.jpg
I can't believe people let there ski get to this, lol

Holy Shyt!!! That's about as bad as I've ever seen! Talk about neglect!

I'll add some links for you to follow so you can price out the tools that are needed.

Oh and btw...OSDparts.com has a tool rental with these special tools. Pretty reasonable prices and you get exactly what is needed to get the job done.

So what you rent it and ship them back, up here in Canada shipping kills us, that is why we have an mail box in use that is just 2 hours away to get there, so if I can us 1 place to get lots parts be nice, as I pay per item at postal box, so will look into the links you posted, thx

Yes. You rent it for the time you need the tools for and then ship them back. Fees are adjusted accordingly if you go past the given time(1 week I think).

If the shipping is outrageous. Then you'll need to find an alternative to offset that cost.

It will take more than one place to get the necessary tools as some items are almost a "unicorn" tool.

I have most of the tools needed. But not all of them. So you may have to improvise if that tool isn't in your toolbox.

There are very few tools that are actually needed.
Compression gauge.
Pop off gauge that can be made.
Degree wheel that can be printed from the manual.
Flywheel puller
Impeller wrench.
Engine alignment tool.

Yes I have lots of brp tools for sleds, and compression tool for sure, Mik what is the pop off tool. Just the shipping to Canada is Krazy, so I ship to eureka PO box and then I get free shipping and depends on side of item the fee is anywhere from 2 to 6 us bucks per item shipped. So today I got a cam, head and full gasket kit for an atv it cost me 12 us bucks. The drive there is 2 hrs but we make it a day trip and do other stuff anyways, so still cheaper then getting to my door and faster, way faster. I want to get some of them tools anyways, thx

It's for checking the carb needle and seat as well as leak down of the carbs. A schrader, a brass tee some hose barbs and a pressure gauge. I change out the gauge to a lower pressure one for pressure testing the engines and use a MTB suspension pump to pressurize them.
143.jpg

If you have BRP tools for sleds. Some of those can be used on Sea Doos as well.

I don't recall which tools can be used. But there are some.

Yada yada yada, spill on the sleds. I assume a Mach, details. I'm into the vintage stuff I grew up riding on, Blizzard 5500, Moto-Ski Supersonic, Yamaha SRX440.

Yes a 2006 mach 1000 that I re uilt into a drag sled with 100hp nos. I have done well with it, I have triple purple screamer 600 now I have a 174 800 mountain machine I call the Billy goat.. I am looking for a 98 mach z as they are the best to add go fast parts. I am also bringing in my 2 seadoo cranks in on Tuesday to city 7 hr drive to get guys to look at my cranks. Then will know if need to rebuild or fin a reman. I'm in rv travelling still be home sat and will post pics.

Well I will dig up the system I used in my Mach 1000. The guys in Minnesota use the same set up a lot.
Well guys I dropped off my two cranks to a machine shop and will totally rebuild new everything for 440 Canadian each. Seals rods bearings etc. Just gotta decide what one first, 92 has good cases but needs top end and 98 has new top end but needs all bottom lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back