BRP sound system detaching in use

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Bought the BT sound system for Spark. Is it to be expected that this will detach from the mount when landing a jump? Lost it three times today on small wakes. Design flaw? Any creative ideas for securing it better? Waste of money? Thanks

You know I was just at the BRP dealer yesterday checking out the trixx handlebars. One of the units there had the BRP speaker system mounted to a trixx. I tried my best to rip it off and was not able to get it to budge. There was a video playing on a loop also showing all the accessories. They claim it will not detach from jumping and rough water. I would seriously take it back.

This just in....

There is a safety recall on the BRP speakers. It may not yet be up on the website, but it will be soon.

Update: safety recall completed, issue not resolved. When ski flexes on impact coming off of jump, it expands the mount, releases the clips, and the sound bar goes on a flight. Terrible design, save your money and get a set of Bt earbuds. I have a $600 desktop speaker now.

Update: safety recall completed, issue not resolved. When ski flexes on impact coming off of jump, it expands the mount, releases the clips, and the sound bar goes on a flight. Terrible design, save your money and get a set of Bt earbuds. I have a $600 desktop speaker now.

I was one of the first people to contact BRP after they announced the recall of the audio system on twitter. They were prompt to contact me and help me get the replacement, however I've been busy and finally was able to get the replacement mounting solution for the audio system. I just posted pictures on greenhulk what was in the box. I've haven't had a chance to compare what's the different between the two mounting systems, only thing I've noticed is that the new mount is stiffer to pull down the latch.

Once I swap out the previous mounting system with the revised one, I'll post pictures, side by side to see what has changed and my results with the new mounting solution.

FYI, on the original mounting system, the speaker comes off pretty easy when riding in the ocean. I also have a plan on how to prevent the speaker from coming off if the new solution doesn't work. It will involve putting two pins to prevent the latch from unlocking during use.

Thanks.

All,

Update, I was able to swap out the previous mounting system for the new revised one (recall). As you all know, the speaker would detach itself on hard landings (wake/wave jumping).

I was able to fully test the new mounting system today along with my Spark Trixx and I had no issues so far, and it was by far one of the most extreme days for me on a ski. The waves were crazy, here is what was the marine forecast (I looked it up afterwards when I got back): Seas 4 to 6 feet with occasional seas to 8 feet. I never check the marine forecast, only regular weather, next time I will. I went from Dania Beach, FL to Haulover, FL (Sandbar), its about 14 miles each way on water, and again I had no issues except my the toll it took on me, lol.

I have attached pics of the old mounting system with the new one so you can see the differences in them, I also pointed it out in the pictures.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20191012_114155.jpg
    20191012_114155.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 20191012_114225.jpg
    20191012_114225.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20191012-231205_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191012-231205_Gallery.jpg
    768.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20191012-231307_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191012-231307_Gallery.jpg
    769.3 KB · Views: 24
After doing safety recall, mine was still coming off. Discovered the factory install was done wrong on original. So, the recall was mounted to the same incorrectly drilled holes. Holes were drilled about 1mm off center, rendering the mount just a hair to the left. This let the mount flex just enough to release the speaker when landing a jump. Required replacement of the body part that the mount attaches to. No part number for that apparently. All seems good now.

Back