Broken Drive shaft protector - how hard is this to fix?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, due to some simple carelessness on part of the driver (not me :)), my 1997 Speedster sucked a tow rope into water intake of the starboard engine. Luckily, it was not entangled in the impeller. :banghead:

The DRIVE SHAFT PROTECTOR however was broken into several pieces and will need to be replaced. Extracting the rope was fairly easy and I am certain that the DRIVE SHAFT was not damaged or bent. The boat drives fine with no unusual sounds or vibration. :hurray:

The DRIVE SHAFT PROTECTOR part itself is only a few dollars, but I can imagine that the labor to replace it at the dealership would be very costly. :ack:

Anyone care to comment if this repair is fairly straightforward or should I take it to the dealer and let the pros do it?

Seems that the drive shaft would need to be removed by working from the engine compartment side. Getting everything back just right might be kind of tricky.

Could I just drive it the way it is? :confused:

Any idea how hard that is?

I am a total rookie, so I wil probably not try it myself. You think it would be a few hours of labor for the dealer?

About an hour or less.
It's not absolutely necessary to put one back in. It will not reduce performance, it's there to protect the driveshaft when you suck a rope etc.;)

Chester

About an hour or less.
It's not absolutely necessary to put one back in. It will not reduce performance, it's there to protect the driveshaft when you suck a rope etc.;)

Chester

Chester's right....
Group K Performance insists on removing them anyway. The shaft alone creates less turbulant water intering the pump than a shaft with the guard installed.

Scrll down to "Drive shaft protector"

http://www.groupk.com/sd720jetbt.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the good advice. I will probably not mess with it. If a time comes to get to that area, then I won't hesitate to replace it, but then again I might not.:hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back