Breaking in new engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

over10k

Long story short I picked up a 2000 Sea-Doo XP for a great price and replaced almost everything inside, it's basically new! What can I do to get the most life out of this 951 (maintenance, things to avoid etc. ) and how should I go about breaking it in? I was told to use a tank at half throttle, then move to 3/4 throttle for another tank etc. Any tips? Thanks for the help!

Make sure your oil injection is primed. Also premix the first tank at 50:1. The best method is to heat cycle the engine. So for the first half tank ride at about 1/4 throttle varying rpm up and down for 15 minutes then give it about a 30 minute cool down and repeat. For the next half it's the same at 1/2 throttle then an the next full tank of straight gas the first half up to 3/4 throttle then the last half you can go up to full throttle but don't hold it there. Now you are done.

Thanks for the reply! How do I go about priming the oil injection? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I'm a newbie haha. Also what do you mean by cool down? Turning it off or letting it idle? Also how long is too long to hold the throttle wide open (once it's broken in completely)? Thanks again for the reply!

Since you will have premix in the fuel. Open the oil bleed screw on the oil pump until fresh oil flows out and no air. Then start the engine and at idle hold the oil pump arm wide open. You will see oil pulsing into the lines. As soon as it gets to the intake yo are done.
By cool down I always open the hood or remove the seat and just let it sit off for 30 minutes. It's also a good time to check for leaks and loose things.
Once broken in you can hold it wide open as long as you want but it isn't technically the greatest thing for them. Just in moderation I would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back